This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Revised and updated with the latest information in the field, the Fifth Edition of best-selling Computer Science Illuminated continues to provide students with an engaging breadth-first overview of computer science principles and provides a solid foundation for those continuing their study in this dynamic and exciting discipline. Authored by two of today's most respected computer science educators, Nell Dale and John Lewis, the text carefully unfolds the many layers of computing from a language-neutral perspective, beginning with the information layer, progressing through the hardware, programming, operating systems, application, and communication layers, and ending with a discussion on the limitations of computing. Separate program language chapters are available as bundle items for instructors who would like to explore a particular programming language with their students.
Ideal for introductory computing and computer science courses, the fifth edition's thorough presentation of computing systems provides computer science majors with a solid foundation for further study, and offers non-majors a comprehensive and complete introduction to computing.
New Features of the Fifth Edition:
- Includes a NEW chapter on computer security (chapter 17) to provide readers with the latest information, including discussions on preventing unauthorized access and guidelines for creating effective passwords, types of malware anti-virus software, problems created by poor programming, protecting your online information including data collection issues with Facebook, Google, etc., and security issues with mobile and portable devices.
- A NEW section on cloud computing (chapter 15) offers readers an overview of the latest way in which businesses and users interact with computers and mobile devices.
- The section on social networks (moved to chapter 16) has been rewritten to include up-to-date information, including new data on Google+ and Facebook.
- The sections covering HTML have been updated to include HTML5.
- Includes revised and updated Did You Know callouts in the chapter margins.
- The updated Ethical Issues at the end of each chapter have been revised to tie the content to the recently introduced tenth strand recommended by the ACM stressing the importance of computer ethics.
-Answers to the end of chapter exercises
-Answers to the lab exercises
-PowerPoint Lecture Outlines
-PowerPoint Image Bank
Every new copy is packaged with a free access code to the robust Student Companion Website featuring:
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Jones & Bartlett Learning, 2012. Paperback. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M144966573X
Book Description Jones & Bartlett Learning, 2012. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P11144966573X
Book Description Jones & Bartlett Learning, 2012. Paperback. Condition: New. Brand New!. Seller Inventory # VIB144966573X
Book Description Jones & Bartlett Learning, 2012. Paperback. Condition: New. 5. Seller Inventory # DADAX144966573X