- Expert Opinion essays, written by well-known, frequently published experts, discuss interesting topics of research or new advances in the field.
- Important terms are defined in the margins of the pages on which they appear, enabling readers to easily check the meaning of an unfamiliar term where it appears in context.
- Margin notes highlight important concepts and points, remind readers of previously discussed topics, offer an alternative perspective, or refer readers to other sources for further information.
- Material conforms to the most recent AABB standards for the most accurate, up-to-date information on immunohematology.
- Advanced concepts, beyond what is required for entry-level practice, are set apart from the rest of the text so readers can easily differentiate between basic and advanced information.
- A new chapter on Hematopoietic Stem Cells and Cellular Therapy (chapter 19) provides cutting-edge coverage of cellular therapy and its relevance to blood-banking.
- New content has been added on molecular genetics, component therapy, and International Society of Blood Transfusion (ISBT) nomenclature, as well as the latest information on HIV, hepatitis, quality assurance, and information systems.
- Coverage of new technologies, such as nucleic acid technology and gel technology, keeps readers current with advances in the field.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.