- Thorough coverage prepares you for a professional nursing career by including all of the most important issues faced by the new nurse.
- An engaging presentation features lively cartoons, chapter objectives, bibliographies, and colorful summary boxes.
- Critical Thinking boxes are located in every chapter, with relevant questions and exercises to apply what you have learned to clinical practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes focus on the research evidence that supports clinical practice.
- Real-life scenarios in each chapter illustrate and personalize the chapter topics.
- An emphasis on making the transition into the workplace is included in chapters such as NCLEX-RN and the New Graduate, Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes, and Interviewing, and Mentoring and Preceptorship.
- A companion Evolve website includes Case Studies for every chapter, test-taking strategies, a sample NCLEX test tutorial, a sample NCLEX exam, appendices, and resume builder templates for creating professional resumes and cover letters.
- Health care reform is covered in the Economics of the Health Care Delivery System chapter, including the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 and the new Patient Bill of Rights as they apply to health care delivery and cost.
- Updated Health Care Organization and Patterns of Nursing Care Delivery chapter covers the results of managed care and explains the "p4p" (pay for performance) payment system, eliminating payment for medical errors as urged by the Institute of Medicine, and the collaboration at all levels of care to prevent medical errors and improve quality of care.
- A chapter on collective bargaining and unions covers the creation in 2009 of the largest union and professional organization of registered nurses, the National Nurses United (NNU), and related issues.
- Updated Emergency Preparedness chapter covers The World Health Organization's (WHO) global pandemic influenza plan and its relation to public health and immunization.
- Coverage of QSEN and Patient Safety includes not only Quality and Safety Education for Nurses, but also the National Patient Safety Foundation and the Institute of Medicine competencies related to patient safety, as well as better communication among health care providers, quality improvement, and guidelines from The Joint Commission.
- Coverage of evidence-based practice includes management protocols and interventions used as the basis for clinical outcomes.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
“This updated and attractive text addresses a wide range of subjects...the material is well-referenced and up to date, contributors have clear writing styles and the text is supported by online materials.
Nursing Standard, March 11 :: vol 23 no 27 :: 2009
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.