- Practical coverage of basic pharmacology provides a thorough understanding of the medications most commonly used in ambulatory and inpatient settings.
- Chapter objectives and key words at the beginning of each chapter help you focus your study efforts.
- A real-life "Scenario" starts each chapter with thought provoking questions to consider as you progress through the material.
- Each body system chapter includes a list of the "Common Signs & Symptoms of Diseases" and "Common Side Effects of Medications" to help you distinguish between disease progression and medication reactions.
- Body systems icons help you quickly identify how specific drugs affect a particular body system.
- "Check Your Understanding" math review sections enable you to assess your knowledge of application and calculation concepts.
- Procedures boxes provide step-by-step guidance for drug calculation and administration, accompanied by numerous illustrations and icons that identify OSHA-mandated protocols.
- "Important Facts and Clinical Tips" boxes highlight the most important concepts for practice in each chapter.
- "Patient Education" boxes help you communicate more effectively with patients about possible side effects or adverse reactions.
- "Critical Thinking Exercises" challenge you to apply what you've learned to a variety of realistic situations.
- An expanded math section helps you sharpen your calculation skills with a wealth of practice problems.
- Additional drug calculation coverage includes more dosage and calculation practice exercises, as well as a new chapter on Principles and Calculations in IV Therapy.
- Expanded pediatric content offers a more thorough understanding of the special dosage and calculation considerations required for this special population.
- Two new appendices ― "IV Therapy Basics" and "Combination Drug Products" ― offer quick access to essential information.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
The second edition of Pharmacology: Principles and Applications is a thorough, comprehensive pharmacology text that is well suited for health professions students as a result of its extensive content and effective use of review questions, exercises, color, icons, and graphics to engage students for optimal learning. The text is divided in such a manner that health professions faculty can easily determine which sections of the text should be emphasized in a specific discipline.
Journal of Pharmacy Technology – November/December 2008
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.