This is the long-awaited new prayer book for Jewish Sabbath and religious weekday services, which has just been completed by Chaim Stern, famed author of "Gates of Prayer" and "Gates of Repentence". These books have been used for the past 30 years in most of the 800+ Reform Jewish Congregations throughout North America.
This historic, gender-sensitive prayer book includes the most comprehensive transliteration of any prayerbook in the reform movement, and a special and timely section devoted to prayers and meditations for "Troubled Times."
In the words of the author: "I consider "Paths of Faith" my masterwork, the prayer book I always wanted to create. It is the summation of a lifetime devoted to creating liturgy. It developed out of the wisdom that comes with advanced years, and the complicated circumstances of our world. I hope the prayer book’s poetry and spirituality illumines our worship in a time of uncertainty."
"Paths of Faith" reflects the traditions of classical liturgy and of Liberal-Reform Judaism, yet it contains many innovations:
· For each Sabbath there is a choice of introductory materials. The core of the service is fixed, from the Bar’chu to the end of the Tefilah. All passages are masterful new translations, with new accompanying passages likely to be sung by the congregation.
· Each service begins with a Kavannah ("prayer before prayer"), in the margin. These additions are taken from traditional texts, and the worshiper is encouraged to link prayer and meditation with the ethical behavior that ought to flow from the act of worship.
· Along side each of the classical prayers is a brief explanation of its content/significance, establishing the prayer’s place in the structure of the liturgy.
· Thematic cross-references connect to other passages in the book, enhancing appreciation of the text and inviting readers to learn about its interconnections. This offers an interactive, highly personal approach to prayer.
· The Shema includes an optional passage culled from Deuteronomy, that restores the flavor of the traditional text. And in the Tefilah, the Gevurot restores "mechayei hameitim," and adds a passage about the seasons that goes beyond traditional seasonal inserts.
· Special innovations include: a selection of readings for "Troubled Times"; Prayers for Healing; a Betrothal Prayer; a special selection of newly-translated Psalms, and blessings and rituals for individuals and communities, at home and in the synagogue.
· Holidays: A complete liturgy is offered for Yom Tov, with special readings. A special Tefilah has inserts for Shabbat Shuvah, Chol HaMoeid Yom Tov, Rosh Chodesh, and Chanukah.
Chaim Stern, who has been described by the Central Conference of American Rabbis as "the poet laureate of the Reform movement," is also is the most prolific liturgist of Reform Judaism, and one of the most prolific of liturgists of any religion in history. His prayer books and his writings and translations are appreciated by readers world-wide.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Rabbi Chaim Stern has also authored "Gates of Prayer", "Gates of Repentance", "Gates of Forgiveness", "Gates of Joy", "Passover Haggadah", "Day by Day", "On the Doorposts of Your House", "Pirke Avot: A New Commentary", translations of all prophetic texts used in the synagogue in The Haftarah Commentary; and a forthcoming new translation of the book of Genesis.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description S.P.I. Books, 2002. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # M1561719331
Book Description S.P.I. Books, 2002. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P111561719331
Book Description S.P.I. Books. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 1561719331 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW7.1594319
Book Description S.P.I. Books. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 1561719331 New Condition *** Right Off the Shelf | Ships within 2 Business Days ~~~ Customer Service Is Our Top Priority! - Thank you for LOOKING :-). Bookseller Inventory # 2BOOK2P282637
Book Description S.P.I. Books, 2002. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. A Gift Quaility book at a fair price. Clean, tight, unmarked We ship within 24 hours, carefully wrapped. You found it! No need to pay more. We sell books from New to Acceptable. We take care to be accurate in our description. Most of our books were gently read and in fine condition. BNCTucsonbooks ships daily. Proceeds from the sales of books support an endowed scholarship to Brandeis University, Waltham Mass. Bookseller Inventory # mon0000061863