This book provides an integrative overview of current research in a previously neglected area: interpersonal discrimination. Chapters focus on common, face-to-face discriminatory behaviors including derision, exclusion, and ignoring of others based on their gender, race, sexual orientation, class, age, or a combination thereof. Critically reviewing the theory and empirical research in each area, the volume explores the complex relationship between beliefs, attitudes, and behavior, with special attention throughout to the implications for public policy.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Bernice Lott, Ph.D., is Professor of Psychology and Women's Studies at the University of Rhode Island. She has written widely on interpersonal attraction, social learning and socialization, and feminist psychology and gender issues.
Diane Maluso, Ph.D., is Assistant Professor of Psychology and Women's Studies at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. In addition to interpersonal discrimination, she is currently studying social behaviors and gender in cyberspace.
Foreword, Stuart Oskamp
1. Introduction: Framing the Questions, Bernice Lott and Diane Maluso
2. Distancing from Women: Interpersonal Sexist Discrimination, Bernice Lott
3. Shaking Hands with a Clenched Fist: Interpersonal Racism, Diane Maluso
4. Interpersonal Heterosexism, J.L. Fernald
5. Class Acts: Middle-Class Responses to the Poor, Heather E. Bullock
6. The Social Construction of the Disempowered Elder: Ageism in Interpersonal Contexts, Monisha Pasupathi, Laura L. Carstensen, and Jeanne L. Tsai
7. Multiple Variables in Discrimination, Hope Landrine, Elizabeth A. Klonoff, Roxanna Alcaraz, Judyth Scott, and Phyllis Wilkins
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97815723002171.0
Book Description Guilford Press, 1995. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 1. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX1572300213
Book Description The Guilford Press, 1995. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 1572300213
Book Description The Guilford Press, 1995. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P111572300213