This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
This uniquely practical volume examines precisely what the therapist can say at key moments to enhance therapeutic effectiveness and the process of healing and change. Through vivid clinical illustrations, the book illuminates why some communications in therapy are particularly effective, while others addressing essentially the very same content may actually be countertherapeutic. Wachtel's powerful integrative theory also provides new insights into how psychological disorder evolves, how it is maintained, and how psychotherapy contributes to change.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Paul L. Wachtel, PhD, is CUNY Distinguished Professor at City College and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. His publications include Family Dynamics in Individual Psychotherapy (with Ellen F. Wachtel).
1. The Talking Cure
2. Cyclical Psychodynamics I: Vicious Circles
3. Cyclical Psychodynamics II: The Centrality of Anxiety
4. Cyclical Psychodynamics III: Insight, the Therapeutic Relationship, and the World Outside
5. Accusatory and Facilitative Comments: Criticism and Permission in the Therapeutic Dialogue
6. Exploration, Not Interrogation
7. Building on the Patient's Strengths
8. Affirmation and Change
9. Attribution and Suggestion
10. Reframing, Relabeling, and Paradox
11. Therapist Self-Disclosure: Prospects and Pitfalls
12. Achieving Resolution of the Patient's Difficulties: Resistance, Working Through, and Following Through
13. Postscript: Therapeutic Communication with Couples, Ellen F. Wachtel
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description The Guilford Press, 1993. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M1572304162
Book Description Guilford Press, 1993. Hardcover. Condition: New. 1. Seller Inventory # DADAX1572304162
Book Description The Guilford Press, 1993. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P111572304162
Book Description Condition: Brand New. New. Seller Inventory # A3896
Book Description The Guilford Press. PAPERBACK. Condition: New. 1572304162 New Condition. Seller Inventory # NEW7.0673311