While there have been collections of ghost stories and fantasy tales before Chills and Thrills, none have so completely combined all the frightening and magical elements that have enchanted and spooked children for generations. Filled with scary stories, poems, spells, superstitions, and even recipes, and fabulously designed with vintage art and illustrations, Chills and Thrills will provide many nights of creeps and shivers that will last well beyond Halloween Eve. Included in this hauntingly fun book are:
• Ghost Stories: Including such classics as "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," "The Monkey's Paw," and "The Judge's House".
• Tales of Magic and Fantasy: From classics by H.G. Wells, Mark Twain, and Mary Shelley.
• Poems: Including Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven," and the Witches' Chant from Shakespeare's Macbeth.
• Spells: For kids and grown-ups alike to try at home, Abracadabra!
• Curses: gone unexplained for centuries, discover the truth behind curses such as the Burton Agnes Skull and the Tower of London.
• Superstitions, Legends, and Lore: Helpful advice and history on such mystical items as mirrors and candles, as well as the meaning behind All Hallow's Eve, the Jack-o-Lantern, the Banshee, and the legends of Harry Houdini and Merlin.
• Magic Tricks: Complete with instructional illustrations, perform amazing feats like how to make someone float on air and how to read an invisible message.
• Treats: Guaranteed to bring ghosts, witches, and wizards to the table, recipes include Graveyard Brownies, Eyeball Cookies, and a Witches' Brew.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Natasha Tabori Fried is the managing editor of Welcome Books. She has conceived, edited, and produced numerous titles including The Christmas Almanac, The Little Big Book of Love, and The Little Big Book of Comfort Food.
Lena Tabori is the publisher of Welcome Books, and has conceived and edited numerous titles, including Love: A Celebration in Art and Literature (STC), The Big Book for Toddlers, and The Little Big Book for Moms.
“An indispensable guide to all things scary, superstitious and spine-tingling! Overflowing with curses, spells,tales of magic and fantasy, magic tricks and more, Chills and Thrills is a creepy compendium you’ll feel compelled to keep on your bedside or coffee table. Whether you seek a classic poem like Edgar Allen Poe’s The Raven or a recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds, it’s included here.”
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Welcome Books, 2010. Paperback. Book Condition: New. New - Excellent, clean condition - Soft bound ***. Bookseller Inventory # A-19529
Book Description Welcome Books. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 1599620863 All our listings are Brand New copies held on shelves and ready to be dispatched right away. Super-fast delivery. Excellent value for money with 100% money-back guarantee. Buy with confidence. 3.2.10-pb-bl-s.m. Bookseller Inventory # BQ-G1RX-C2G2
Book Description Welcome Books, 2010. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 1599620863
Book Description Welcome Books, 2010. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX1599620863
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97815996208621.0
Book Description Welcome Books, 2010. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P111599620863