Manage your department with the leading HIM director at your side.
This second edition is an updated version of the earlier best seller and details everything you need to know to direct your health information management department. HIM guru Jean Clark covers the gamut from documentation improvement, transcription, and electronic health records to new chapters on RAC and ICD-10. She also provides guidance on the new HIPAA and HITECH Act requirements to make this a complete resource for both new and seasoned HIM supervisors/managers.
The HIM Director's Handbook, Second Edition helps you:
- Run an effective and efficient HIM department
- Establish productivity standards for staff
- Develop and implement effective policies and procedures
- Understand the HITECH and RAC requirements and how they impact your department
- Improve documentation quality and transcription accuracy
- Prepare your organization for ICD-10
- Comply with CMS and Joint Commission documentation requirements
- Use the medical record as an audit tool
What's new in the second edition?
- A new chapter on RAC
- An updated HIPAA chapter with HITECH information
- A new chapter on making the transition to ICD-10
- New downloadable tools, plus updates to several tools from the previous edition
- An updated Joint Commission CMS crosswalk
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Organizing and Managing the Department and Productivity Standards
Chapter 2: Understanding The Joint Commission, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, and Other Regulatory Organizations
Chapter 3: Improving the Revenue Cycle
Chapter 4: Managing Process Improvement and Quality Assurance
Chapter 5: Using the Medical Record as an Audit Tool
Chapter 6: Providing Training and Support for Coding Staff
Chapter 7: Managing Transcription Staff and Processes
Chapter 8: Training Staff on HIPAA Privacy Requirements
Chapter 9: Implementing Electronic Health Records
Chapter 10: RACs and Other External Audit Challenges
Chapter 11: ICD-10-CM/PCS and HIPAA 5010
Appendix: Sample Policies, Forms, and Tools
Words of praise for the first edition of The HIM Director's Handbook:
'have found that handbook to be extremely helpful. I especially like the chart showing CMS CoP rules next to the Joint Commission rules. I've got my handbook tagged to find certain things quickly. I've been able to share information with the Quality Department and with my boss quickly and easily with this book.'
- Margaret Kimball, RHIT, CTR, Assistant Director, Health Information Management Grays Harbor Community Hospital Aberdeen, Washington
'I am enjoying the book. As a CEO, I am trying to learn as much as possible about the revenue cycle and this serves as a good reference.'
- Leah Osbahr, CEO Washington County Memorial Salem, IN
'This book is great. I have used the information on the centralized coding model in our department. It is working well so far. It also helps my coders keep their skills up in all areas. It also has given me somewhat of a guideline to monitor coding production.'
- Barbara Cronce-Roloson, RHIT Medical Records Manager Hills and Dales General Hospital Cass City, MI
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Jean S. Clark, RHIA, CSHA, is the service line director for health information services and accreditation coordinator at Roper Saint Francis Healthcare in Charleston, SC. She has served on The Joint Commission (JCAHO) Standards Review Task Force and the expert panel for the Information Management chapter, which resulted in sweeping changes for the accreditation process beginning in January 2004. A past president of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), she received AHIMA's Distinguished Member Award and the Volunteer Award. She is the past president of the International Federation of Health Record Organizations (IFHRO). She is the contributing editor to Medical Records Briefing, and author of seven editions of Information Management, five editions of Ongoing Records Review, the HIM Director's Guide to Recovery Audit Contractors, and the first edition of The HIM Director's Handbook, all from HCPro, Inc.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description HCPro, Inc., 2010. Perfect Paperback. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P111601467249