The history of the Vikings is bloody and eventful, and Viking warriors capture the popular imagination to this day. Viking raids reached from Norway to North Africa, they established the dukedom of Normandy, provided the Byzantine Emperor's bodyguard and landed on the shores of America 500 years before Columbus. In The Vikings the authors provide a detailed examination of the Viking Hersir, the raiding warrior of the Viking world, and the
famed Viking longship that transported the Vikings through treacherous waters to their bloody raids. This beautifully illustrated book also includes a fascinating insight into the Vikings in North America and the lives the Viking led at home.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
· Magnus Magnusson authored more than 30 books, made several TV programs on Iceland and the Vikings, and translated the Vinland Sagas and many other sagas into English.
· Mark Harrison has a Bachelor's degree in Medieval Studies from Lancaster University. He is a Curator at the Royal Armouries, Tower of London and has a strong interest in the early medieval world. He lives in Colchester, UK.
· Ian Heath is a highly respected author, currently working on a five-volume project covering the armies of 19th-century Asia. Ian lives in Cambridgeshire
· Keith Durham lives in Northumberland. He has had a lifelong interest in the Vikings and their ships.
· Renï¿½ Chartrand and has been senior curator with Canada's National Historic Sites for nearly three decades, he is now a freelance writer and historical consultant. He lives in Quebec.
The author lives in Glasgow, Scotland.
"Informative, educational text, wonderful, clear, full color photos, and full color illustrations and ancient paintings all tie together into a very interesting and exciting volume...truly a specialty subject, and if your interest lies within the bounds of these ancient warriors and sailors, then this volume belongs on your bookshelf! Highly recommended, and definitely a great read." -Mark Smith, Model Shipwrights
"This is a compendium of the previous Osprey titles Elite 3: The Vikings, Warrior 3: Viking Hersir 793-1066 AD and New Vanguard 47: Viking Longship. It gives a very complete overview of the Vikings, their history, weapons and fighting methods, and ships. Good photographs and colour plates back up an authoritative text, and the whole book is quite fascinating - no-one interested in the Vikings...should miss this one! Highly recommended." -John Prigent, Internet Modeler (April 2008)
"From Viking ships to how they raided around the world and established world empires, The Vikings: Voyagers of Discovery and Plunder is a college-level recommendation not to be missed by any studying the topic." -Library Bookwatch (July 2006)
"...one is left with an understanding and appreciation of what these people were really like. An excelling book and one that I can recommend for a fascinating read. Full of quality period photographs, superb art work and maps... [this book] is a riveting and superbly written book that you really need to have on your shelves." -Scott Van Aken, modelingmadness.com
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Osprey Publishing, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P111846033403
Book Description Osprey Publishing. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 1846033403 We guarantee all of our items - customer service and satisfaction are our top priorities. Please allow 4 - 14 business days for Standard shipping, within the US. Bookseller Inventory # TM-1846033403
Book Description Osprey Publishing. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 1846033403 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW7.1692872