This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Today's headlines paint a sobering picture of how overwhelmed our immune systems become:
* Rising cancer diagnoses and deaths
* Antibiotic resistance
* Dramatic increases in allergies, parasites, and infections
* More environmental toxins than ever before
In Activate Your Immune System: Natural Substance Provides Ultimate Support, medical professional Leonid Ber, M.D., and research journalist Karolyn A. Gazella have teamed up to bring you critical information on building immune-system health.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Karolyn A. Gazella is the president and founder of IMPAKT Communications Inc., an international magazine and book publishing and distribution company. She is the publisher of The International Journal of Integrative Medicine, Natural Medicine Review, and Health Security newsletter. Karolyn is also the author of Help Yourself: The Beginner's Guide to Natural Medicine and co-author of Activate Your Immune System.
With more than fifteen years of experience in the communications field, Karolyn has spent the past nine years as a research journalist in the natural health field. She has appeared on television and national radio programs, promoting the benefits of natural health approaches and sharing her own personal experience with cancer. She has attended dozens of natural medicine conferences and seminars throughout the United States and Canada.Excerpt. © Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.:
Your immune system holds the key to optimum health. It determines if you will get the flu, how long your allergy symptoms will last, and even if you will succumb to the ravages of cancer or AIDS. In large part, your immune system will dictate how you live and how you will die.
The immune system has a lot of responsibility and it becomes even more challenging in today's society. Illnesses that result from a weakened immune system continue to increase dramatically. Cancer, which is presently the most expensive and most feared disease of our time is expected to surpass heart disease as our number one killer disease within the next few years. And it is understood that cancer cannot thrive with in the confines of a strong, healthy immune system.
An immune system functioning at peak performance is also able to protect us against viruses, bacteria, yeast, fungi, parasites, and a host of toxins. If your immune system is not up to the challenge, these toxins can make you sick. The immune system has the power, it has the system and it has the players. But the task is still daunting. Consider this:
* The overall incidence of cancer has increased by 44 percent since 1950, with breast cancer up 60 percent and prostate cancer up an amazing 100 percent.
* It is estimated that 25 percent to 50 percent of the American population suffers from allergies.
* We live in a toxic world. At least 20,000 of the 70,000 known chemicals we are continually exposed to have been proven to cause cancer. America sprays 1.2 billion pounds of pesticides on the foods we eat, while nine millions pound of antibiotics are pumped into our meat and poultry supply. Every year 90 billion pounds of toxic waste are dumped into 55,000 sites throughout the United States.
* Artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives are key ingredients in the increasingly popular "convenient foods" that line the shelves in grocery stores. We are discovering the long-term damage these processed foods can have on our health. Recently, Harvard-trained researcher Kilmer S. McCully, M.D., confirmed that food processing and preservatives cause heart disease by creating vitamin deficiencies of folic acid and vitamins B6 and B12 thereby raising homocysteine levels in the body. Homocysteine is a non-essential toxic amino acid that leads to heart disease. Dr. McCully says he will soon be able to prove the connection between food processing and cancer as well. This will firmly establish that consumption of these foods can lead to a weakened immune system.
* Resistance to antibiotics is becoming a very real concern. "The age of antibiotics is fast coming to a close," writes Michael Weiner, Ph.D., in his book, Maximum Immunity. "Because of their great numbers, viruses and bacteria have quickly evolved resistant strains for almost every major man-made pharmaceutical."
It's easy to see why the immune system has its work cut out for it. Protecting us from illness is no easy task.
"With the increasing levels of carcinogens in our environment, our bodies' demand for effective immune elimination of newly formed cancer cells is at an all-time high, and based on the increasing incidence of cancer, more and more of us are failing to meet the challenge," explains Joseph Pizzorno, N.D., president of Bastyr University and author of Total Wellness. "Another 20th-century problem is the growing number of bacteria that have become resistant or immune to the available antibiotics. Establishing and maintaining an effective immune system has never been more important.
Childhood ear infections are a prime example of the importance of an immune system response and the overuse of antibiotics. While studies indicate that 90 percent of all ear infections heal entirely on their own without antibiotic treatment, prescription antibiotics continue to be some of the most popular drugs available. According to author and clinician Mary Ann Block, D.O., giving antibiotics early during an ear infection is likely to cause more recurrences and lead to more bacterial resistance.
"Even if the antibiotic does not help us get well any faster, there is a tendency to want that antibiotic prescription anyway," explains Dr. Block. "This attitude may have actually put our future health in jeopardy."
It's up to our immune systems to help protect us from the new, "super" germs being created through antibiotic resistance. Some of the simple bacteria that were easily treated with a commonly prescribed antibiotic no longer respond. Other infectious bacteria, such as tuberculosis-once thought to be under control-are recently resurfacing and are more challenging to treat than ever before. And the issue of bacterial resistance is just one of the many serious health concerns the body's immune system has to deal with.
It's clear that keeping the immune system healthy and strong should be our first priority if we are to avoid disease and achieve optimum health. How we age and the quality of our life depend largely on the health of our immune system.
By reading this book, you are taking an important step toward developing your ultimate immune system potential. You are making a commitment to your health-your most important and irreplaceable asset.
This book will explain how you can stimulate a positive immune system response. You will discover how an impressive scientific breakthrough can safely and naturally activate your immune system. You will be sure to get all of your questions answered in chapter four. Most importantly, you will be given the knowledge you need to protect against cancer, AIDS, allergies, chronic colds and flu, candidiasis, and much more.
But first, let's unlock the mystery of the human immune system. Discover your own power to be healthy. It exists within each one of us.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Impakt Communications Inc, Green Bay, Wisconsin, U.S.A., 1998. Paperback. Condition: New. Dust Jacket Condition: Not Issued. 1st. 93 pages, line drawings, "Provides a fascinating and easy-to-understand explanation of how the immune system works-and how you can intesify its effectiveness" Size: 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. Medical. Seller Inventory # 50605
Book Description Impakt Communications Inc, 1998. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M1890694118
Book Description Impakt Communications Inc, 1998. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P111890694118