This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
This frequent No 1 Amazon Best Seller Career Guide is required reading at the University of Central Florida (largest University in the USA). It is used in The College of Business Administration and the Department of Psychology for their Professional Development and Career Readiness classes for over 10,000 students.
You will learn how to;
- Develop the interpersonal skills needed to encourage people to meet you and quickly like & trust you. This will enable you to connect and build relationships into a network that will help you.
- Ask your connections the right questions about their daily activities, work environment & career direction - so you can target jobs you are likely to enjoy.- Gain the right skills & experience, including internships, to build your competitive advantage to meet the specific needs of your targeted jobs and employers.
- Build relevant profiles on social media such as LinkedIn using "key words" those employers are likely to search on.
- Write targeted high impact resumes that will get you an interview.
- Connect with the interviewer and avoid a personality clash.
- Prepare for and professionally answer common but critical interview questions - plus prepare the questions you must ask.
- The four thresholds you must cross to win the selection process.
- Prompt them to make you an offer and negotiate a better one.
It ALSO shows you how to succeed in the job and get promoted.
You will learn;
- What you must do on the day you join to maximize "the best start" in your internship or job.
- How to understand an employer's expectations from you & how to outperform them.
- What to do if a job is not going well.
- How to develop mentors and raving references you can count on your entire career.
- A process to consistently solve problems & complete difficult tasks to help you develop a reputation for getting the job done.
- Build management and leadership skills & learn how and when to apply them.
- Three strategies for getting promoted you must have in place at all times!
Is there a need for this book?
The challenge - According to sources such NACE, Accenture, and Gallup over 83% of students graduate with no job lined up and 51% will take longer than 2 years to land a career job. Over 20% lose their first job or quit in less than 6 months. Over 70% of all employees languish for long periods feeling unengaged, under perform as a result, & are unlikely to get promoted. The root cause - Many students, recent graduates and even people in their late twenties & early thirties do not know what they really want to do.
Without an exciting job in your sights you won't have the motivation, energy & drive to make enough effort to prepare your unique relevance to compete well in a selection process - or become a top performer in the job later. Because of these statistics employers do not believe that your degree by itself is enough to make you a "job winning" candidate.
This is why employers specifically look for your motivation (passion) & drive. They want to know what actions you took to target them and develop yourself to meet their needs - and why. They want to know you are committed.
This guide shows you the interpersonal skills, including the right questions to get the information you need, so you can decide what you want to do - and what capabilities you will need to demonstrate to get selected. It will teach you how to build & communicate your unique relevant value so that you stand out from the crowd & trigger a "This Is Who We Want!" reaction.
Most books stop at getting the job. However, statistics show that succeeding in the job is just as hard as landing it!
This "two in one" book provides a continuous process called The Career Cycle that ensures you not only land the job of your dreams but succeed in it. It then shows you how to use these same principles to build your own team with the right people - and get promoted - all the way to the top.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
SOME GREAT NEWS
The great news for you, the job seeker, is that virtually no business can keep growing without employing more of the right people. Senior executives constantly discuss the need to find, attract, develop, and retain good people because without them, sustainable growth is not possible. Without growth many CEO's will be looking for jobs themselves!
In fact, I have spoken to managers at many different levels, and they often complain that there is a shortage of the people they are looking for and that this is a constraint on their ability to meet their objectives.
They have to spend too much time and effort scanning non relevant resumes and online profiles followed by arranging and conducting too many interviews with poorly prepared candidates. As a result, many managers also admit that when they finally do find the right person, they get a sudden rush of excitement as they decide, "This is who we want!" It's the moment in which they can clearly visualize how the new recruit will help them achieve their objectives and career ambitions.
Your abilities to connect with a potential employer, understand what they are looking for and why - so you can trigger this reaction - are a key focus of this book. However, it is very disappointing and embarrassing for a manager if one of their new recruits subsequently fails. It forces the manager to terminate them and start the expensive and time consuming process all over. This is even more embarrassing and disastrous for you. As you look for a new job, the second your next interviewer realizes that this has happened to you, they will probably select someone else. Your next job search will be even harder. To make things worse, many repeat job seekers have no clear idea of what a better job looks like, or how to find it, land it, and be more successful in it than their last job. Taking a long time to land a job is clearly frustrating and depressing. However, to finally land a job after much effort and then not be able to perform in it, to hate it and lose it, is the definition of futility! It is often the beginning of a downward spiral. This is why making sure you understand your manager's expectations and have the ability to exceed them is an equally important part of this book.
MAKING THE CAREER BREAKTHROUGH It can be done!
There are many success stories:
* People who landed career positions before they even graduated. Some are on their second promotions within two years. What did they do differently?
* People who lost their jobs but landed others within weeks. How?
* People who actually find their work enjoyable, and a 10-hour day flies by. What is their secret?
* People whose careers are alive with fulfilling relationships. Their bosses have become both mentors and references. Were they just lucky?
* Young people in management positions who oversee significant numbers of staff, including some up to twice their age. What got them on the fast track? I will share with you what these people know and do that makes the difference between rapidly climbing toward their goals versus spiraling away from them. IT REQUIRES A PROCESS AND YOU NEED TO START IT EARLY The key to the above success stories is that the individuals recognized that developing the dream, i.e. identifying what you want to do, then developing and maximizing your relevance to that dream, followed by finding and landing the actual job of your dreams, with good pay and benefits, and then succeeding in it and getting promoted - involves a number of activities and skills that need to be applied in a well thought out and well timed process. Many of these activities such as building your network and developing your interpersonal skills to do so - need to start as early as possible. Preferably LONG before you graduate. It is your network that will help guide you to decide what you WANT to do as your dream career, and what you will HAVE to do to become "THE" dream candidate. Without detailed guidance from people actually already doing what you want to do you are guessing about what job you want and how to become the winning candidate. With 50% of graduates failing to land a career job inside two years and over 70% indicating they do not enjoy their job - statistics clearly indicate that without a well executed plan over half of you will get this wrong. Building such a network takes time. Lots of it. You therefor need to start now. Those who leave it until after graduation often describe themselves as falling off a cliff. Out of desperation, as debts mount, they often choose the wrong job and lose it or quit within 6 months with many negative consequences to both themselves and their employers. This is a step-by-step guide that teaches you how to genuinely develop and market yourself as THE candidate that employers of your choice want to HIRE. It also ensures you are the candidate employers want to KEEP by teaching you how to succeed in the job, how to make a positive and fulfilling impact, and how to become a future leader.
HOW TO READ THIS BOOKIn order to get a job, succeed in it, and get promoted, there are a number of skills and activities that you need to become good at. If you have an urgent need for a specific topic you can go straight to it. Or you can follow the chapters which act as a road map you can follow through the Job Cycle.These activities include specific actions and tactics for:
* Connecting and networking with people who can help you
* Finding jobs and employers you are most likely to enjoy working for
* Understanding what those employers specifically require from you
* Preparing yourself to be the ideal match for such jobs by building your relevance
* Nailing the interview by triggering the "This is who we want!" reaction
* Prompting an offer and negotiating a better one
* Joining the team and forming the right relationship with your boss
* Performing beyond expectations
* Getting promoted to management and leadership
A key theme in this book is that these activities form distinct phases within a repeatable cycle.
Each time you target a job to move your career forward, you repeat these activities and phases at a higher level.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description JETLAUNCH. Paperback. Condition: Brand New. In Stock. Seller Inventory # zk1941142621
Book Description Createspace, 2016. Paperback. Condition: New. Seller Inventory # DADAX1941142621
Book Description Createspace, 2016. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M1941142621
Book Description Createspace, 2016. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P111941142621
Book Description Createspace. PAPERBACK. Condition: New. 1941142621 New Condition. Seller Inventory # NEW99.4028183
Book Description Createspace, 2016. Paperback. Condition: New. Ships with Tracking Number! INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE Shipping available. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!. Seller Inventory # 1941142621n