We ship International with Tracking Number! May not contain Access Codes or Supplements. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service! j. Bookseller Inventory #
Synopsis: As women, we know how important it is to take charge of our health care-to be informed and proactive. But too often we forget that our mental wellness is an integral part of our overall health. The Complete Guide to Mental Health for Women is the definitive resource for women looking for answers to their mental health questions, whether those questions concern a disorder like depression or adjusting to major life changes like motherhood or divorce.
Drawing on the latest thinking in psychiatry and psychology, written for women of diverse backgrounds, The Complete Guide to Mental Health for Women begins with Part One, the life cycle, helping women understand the major issues and biological changes associated with young adulthood, middle age, and old age. Specific entries address the psychological importance of women's sexuality, relationships, motherhood, childlessness, trauma, and illness and discuss how social contexts, such as poverty and racism, inevitably affect mental health.
Part Two explores specific mental disorders, including those, like postpartum depression, related to times when women are particularly vulnerable to mental illness. Part Three takes a closer look at biological treatments-including the use of antidepressants, and various types of psychotherapy-from cognitive behavioral treatments to EMDR and beyond. The Complete Guide to Mental Health for Women ends with a section on life enhancements-because the activities that help us live fuller, more vital lives are also essential to our mental health.
The Complete Guide to Mental Health for Women
* Draws on the knowledge and practical experience of more than fifty psychologists and psychiatrists
* Helps women think through the psychological challenges inherent in the life cycle, from young adulthood through old age
* Focuses on key life issues, from sexuality and relationships to trauma and racism
* Provides important information on mental disorders, their biological treatments, and psychotherapeutic interventions
* Includes a comprehensive list of psychotropic medications, targeted reading suggestions, crucial online resources, and support groups
The Complete Guide to Mental Health for Women covers what every woman should know about:
* Aging. What should I expect from menopause? What do I need to know about the benefits and risks of hormone therapy?
* Pregnancy. How will becoming a mother change me? How do I overcome postpartum depression?
* Childlessness. What if I don't want to be a mother?
* Sexuality. Is a "female Viagra" the solution to women's sexual complaints? How does societal ambivalence about women's sexuality affect me?
* Body Image and Eating Disorders. Are all eating disorders a reaction to societal pressures to be thin?
* Polypharmacy. Why are some patients prescribed more than one type of psychotropic drug? Is this overmedicating?
* Finding a Psychotherapist. How do I know if a therapist is right for me? And how do I know what type of therapy I need?
* Anger. Why is it the most difficult emotion for many women to express?
* EMDR. What exactly is EMDR? Is it a reputable therapy?
* Depression and Anxiety. What do I need to know about psychopharmaceuticals? Does talk therapy help?
* Complementary Treatments for Depression and Anxiety. Does St. John's Wort really work? What else might help?
About the Author:
Lauren Slater, Ed.D., is a psychologist and Knight-Ridder Science Journalist Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Her writing has appeared in The Best American Science Writing 2002, and she is the author of numerous books, including Prozac Diary and Welcome to My Country.
Jessica Henderson Daniel, Ph.D., ABPP, is director of training in psychology at Children's Hospital, Boston, assistant professor at Harvard Medical School, and past president of the Society for the Psychology of Women in the American Psychological Association.
Amy Elizabeth Banks, M.D., is Medical Director for Mental Health at the Fenway Community Health Center, an instructor in psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, and a faculty member at the Jean Baker Miller Training Institute.
Title: The Complete Guide to Mental Health for ...
Publisher: Beacon Press
Publication Date: 2003
Book Condition: Used: Good
Book Description Book Condition: Good. This item is in good condition. All pages and covers are readable. There are no stains or tears. Dust jacket is present if applicable. May contain small amounts of writing and/or highlighting. Spine and cover may show signs of wear. May not contain supplementary items such as CD's or DVD's. We ship within 1 business day. Bookseller Inventory # 34FG4H00104G_ns
Book Description Beacon Press. Paperback. Book Condition: GOOD. Spine creases, wear to binding and pages from reading. May contain limited notes, underlining or highlighting that does affect the text. Possible ex library copy, thatâ€™ll have the markings and stickers associated from the library. Accessories such as CD, codes, toys, may not be included. Bookseller Inventory # 2587829399
Book Description Beacon Press. Paperback. Book Condition: GOOD. Spine creases, wear to binding and pages from reading. May contain limited notes, underlining or highlighting that does affect the text. Possible ex library copy, thatâ€™ll have the markings and stickers associated from the library. Accessories such as CD, codes, toys, may not be included. Bookseller Inventory # 2801949446
Book Description Beacon Press, 2003. Book Condition: Good. 1st Edition. Former Library book. Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. Bookseller Inventory # GRP3669781
Book Description Beacon Press, 2003. Book Condition: Good. 1st Edition. Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. Bookseller Inventory # GRP11462238
Book Description Beacon Press. Paperback. Book Condition: Good. Book shows a small amount of wear to cover and binding. Some pages show signs of use. Bookseller Inventory # G0807029254I3N00
Book Description Beacon Press. Paperback. Book Condition: Very Good. Book shows a small amount of wear - very good condition. Bookseller Inventory # G0807029254I4N00
Book Description Beacon Press. Paperback. Book Condition: Good. Light shelving wear with minimal damage to cover and bindings. Pages show minor use. Bookseller Inventory # G0807029254I3N00
Book Description Paperback. Book Condition: VeryGood. A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. The item is complete, unmarked, and undamaged, but may show some limited signs of wear. Item works perfectly. Pages are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine is undamaged. Bookseller Inventory # 4BQM1B0009C1
Book Description Beacon Press. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: Very Good. 0807029254 Ships promptly. Bookseller Inventory # GNI5989SFBD102116H0155