The first edition of ELL (1993, Ron Asher, Editor) was hailed as "the field's standard reference work for a generation". Now the all-new second edition matches ELL's comprehensiveness and high quality, expanded for a new generation, while being the first encyclopedia to really exploit the multimedia potential of linguistics.
* The most authoritative, up-to-date, comprehensive, and international reference source in its field
* An entirely new work, with new editors, new authors, new topics and newly commissioned articles with a handful of classic articles
* The first Encyclopedia to exploit the multimedia potential of linguistics through the online edition
* Ground-breaking and International in scope and approach
* Alphabetically arranged with extensive cross-referencing
* Available in print and online, priced separately. The online version will include updates as subjects develop
* c. 7,500,000 words
* c. 11,000 pages
* c. 3,000 articles
* c. 1,500 figures: 130 halftones and 150 colour
* Supplementary audio, video and text files online
* c. 3,500 glossary definitions
* c. 39,000 references
* Extensive list of commonly used abbreviations
* List of languages of the world (including information on no. of speakers, language
* Approximately 700 biographical entries (now includes contemporary linguists)
* 200 language maps in print and online
Also available online via ScienceDirect – featuring extensive browsing, searching, and internal cross-referencing between articles in the work, plus dynamic linking to journal articles and abstract databases, making navigation flexible and easy. For more information, pricing options and availability visit www.info.sciencedirect.com.
- The first Encyclopedia to exploit the multimedia potential of linguistics
- Ground-breaking in scope - wider than any predecessor
- An invaluable resource for researchers, academics, students and professionals in the fields of: linguistics, anthropology, education, psychology, language acquisition, language pathology, cognitive science, sociology, the law, the media, medicine & computer science.
- The most authoritative, up-to-date, comprehensive, and international reference source in its field
The Linguist's Benchmark Reference Work for the 21st Century!
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.