Greetings! Welcome to ReadInk (pronounced like "Dead Ink"), now in its 20th year of putting interesting books into the hands of interested people.
Here, briefly, is what I'm about:
* Availability. Inventory control at ReadInk is very tight, and "sold" books are promptly removed from my on-line listings. So with rare exceptions (a misplaced or mis-shelved book, simultaneous orders on different sites), all books listed for sale are available.
* Service. Although I occasionally adopt the so-called "royal We," in fact ReadInk is just Me -- I handle everything from one end of the pipeline to the other: buying, cataloging, customer service, shipping, you name it. Nothing automated here -- just prompt, personal attention to every order.
* Accurate Description. I use standard book-grading terminology -- Good, Very Good, Fine (with various +/- gradations as appropriate) -- but without either excessive jargon or obsessive amounts of detail. "Fine" is my highest grade, and a book has to be darn near perfect to earn it; if there's any flaw or blemish, from a bumped corner to a finger smudge on the top edge, I'll knock it down to "Near Fine" in a heartbeat. I sometimes get a little impressionistic ("mildly shelfworn" and the like), because I am, in fact, trying to give an accurate impression of a book's overall appearance. Significant flaws such as remainder marks, previous owner's names, tears in the dust jacket, etc. are always noted, or if too numerous are reasonably summarized.
* Information. Whenever practical, I try to include some information about a book's content in my listing, even if only a carefully chosen quotation from the dust jacket copy. This may sound like a small thing, but take a look sometime and you'll see how amazingly few sellers bother with this. On the occasions I let this slide, it's generally because the book is a common one, or because the title itself is sufficiently descriptive.
* Care for the Book. It's my job, as I see it, to take every precaution to ensure that any book I send out will withstand the rigors of the U.S. Postal System, and reach its new owner (you) in the same condition as when it left my hands. My specific packaging techniques vary according to the needs of the book itself -- a hardcover book will almost always be shipped in a sturdy box -- but in any case the book will be securely wrapped and well protected. I'm a bit of a fanatic on this score, but at the same time I try to avoid being either fussy or OVER-protective. However, I can guarantee that you'll never get a book from me that's been dropped carelessly into a flimsy bubble envelope, with no protective wrapping; no book I sell, and no customer, will ever be subjected to such shoddy treatment.
So, that's all there is to ReadInk: I'm just a guy who has loved books all his life (perhaps to excess) and in my "middle years" (none of your business) decided to enter the trade and see what I could make of it. And I'm still finding out.
So come on in. You can browse or search my inventory here on AbeBooks (although I'm not too enamored of their system of "catalogs" and "categories"), or you can jump over to my own website -- www.readinkbooks.com -- where all the same books appear, plus some extra added attractions.
Howard Prouty, prop.
Visit Seller's Storefront
Terms of Sale:
All orders will be processed promptly and shipped within 48 hours, usually sooner. PLEASE NOTE that California sales tax (currently 9.25% in Los Angeles County) will be collected on all in-state sales; the request for this additional charge will come as a follow-up email from AbeBooks, which will require the customer's prompt attention and approval. (We try to send these requests as soon as possible after receiving an order, to minimize the chances of delay in shipping.) We grade our books conse... More Information
We offer free Media Mail shipping for all domestic (U.S.) orders, and endeavor to keep our Priority Mail rates as reasonable as possible. International shipping will be shipped via USPS First Class International mail, at the posted rates. Only on rare occasions do we request additional shipping charges, when warranted by the weight or value of the book. Our first priority always is TOP-QUALITY PACKAGING, for MAXIMUM PROTECTION of your book, and we will never compromise on this point.
List this Seller's Books