Hardcover. Naturalness in synthetic speech is one of the most intractable problems in information technology today. Although speech synthesis systems have improved considerably over the last 20 years.Shipping may be from multiple locations in the US or from the UK, depending on stock availability. 408 pages. 0.821. Bookseller Inventory #
Synopsis: Naturalness in synthetic speech is one of the most intractable problems in information technology today. Although speech synthesis systems have improved considerably over the last 20 years, they rarely sound entirely like human speakers.
Why is this so, and what can be done about it?
* Prosodic processing must be rendered more varied and more appropriate to the speech situation
* Timing, melodic control and the relationships between the various prosodic parameters need increased attention
* Signal processing systems must be developed and perfected that are capable of generating more than just one voice from a database
* A better understanding must be achieved of what distinguishes one voice from another, and of how speech styles differ between simply reading aloud numbers and sentences and their use in interactive speech
* New evaluation methodologies should be developed to provide objective and subjective measurements of the intelligibility of the synthetic speech and the cognitive load imposed upon the listener by impoverished stimuli
* Adequate text markup systems must be proposed and tested with multiple languages in real-world situations
* Further research is required to integrate speech synthesis systems into larger natural-language processing systems
Improvements in Speech Synthesis presents the latest research in the above areas. Contributors include speech synthesis specialists from 16 countries, with experience in the development of systems for 12 European languages. This volume emerges from a four-year European COST project focussed on "The Naturalness of Synthetic Speech", and will be a valuable text for everyone involved in speech synthesis.
Title: Improvements in Speech Synthesis: Cost 258: ...
Publication Date: 2002
Book Condition: New
Book Description Wiley-Blackwell, 2001. This is an ex-library book and may have the usual library/used-book markings inside.This book has hardback covers. In good all round condition. No dust jacket. Seller Inventory # 6620147
Book Description Wiley-Blackwell, 2001. "This is an ex-library book and may have the usual library/used-book markings inside.This book has hardback covers. In poor condition, suitable as a reading copy. No dust jacket. ". Seller Inventory # 6449296
Book Description Wiley, 2001. Condition: Good. 1st Edition. Former Library book. Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. Seller Inventory # GRP61918063
Book Description Wiley, 2001. Condition: Very Good. 1st Edition. Former Library book. Great condition for a used book! Minimal wear. Seller Inventory # GRP96803349
Book Description Wiley, 2001. Hardcover. Condition: Used: Good. Seller Inventory # SONG0471499854
Book Description Hardcover. Condition: As New. This Book is in Good Condition; Customer Satisfaction Comes First.Delivery Time 4-12 days. 100% Money back Guaranteed!!!. Seller Inventory # 0471499854
Book Description Wiley, 2001. Hardcover. Condition: Good. 1. Ships with Tracking Number! INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE Shipping available. May not contain Access Codes or Supplements. May be ex-library. Shipping & Handling by region. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!. Seller Inventory # 0471499854
Book Description Condition: New. New. US edition. Perfect condition. Customer satisfaction our priority. Seller Inventory # ABE-FEB-47852
Book Description Condition: Brand New. New. US edition. Customer Satisfaction guaranteed!!. Seller Inventory # SHUB47852
Book Description Condition: Brand New. New, US edition. Excellent Customer Service. Seller Inventory # ABEUSA-47852