Hardcover volume one INSCRIBED BY JULIA CHILD to the first owner on the page before the title page, in excellent, near-pristine condition (slightest handling). One of the few times she does not write "Bon Appetit". This is a 1998 reprinting of the 1983 revised edition. The dust jacket is merely good: price-clipped, a few minor spots, 2x2cm missing chip, protected by a clear, removeable cover. [3.3 lbs]. Bookseller Inventory #
Synopsis: Revised edition of the classic cookbook, originally published in 1961.
This is the classic cookbook, in its entirety—all 524 recipes.
“Anyone can cook in the French manner anywhere,” wrote Mesdames Beck, Bertholle, and Child, “with the right instruction.” And here is the book that, for more than forty years, has been teaching Americans how.
Mastering the Art of French Cooking is for both seasoned cooks and beginners who love good food and long to reproduce at home the savory delights of the classic cuisine, from the historic Gallic masterpieces to the seemingly artless perfection of a dish of spring-green peas. This beautiful book, with more than 100 instructive illustrations, is revolutionary in its approach because:
· it leads the cook infallibly from the buying and handling of raw ingredients, through each essential step of a recipe, to the final creation of a delicate confection;
· it breaks down the classic cuisine into a logical sequence of themes and variations rather than presenting an endless and diffuse catalogue of recipes; the focus is on key recipes that form the backbone of French cookery and lend themselves to an infinite number of elaborations—bound to increase anyone’s culinary repertoire;
· it adapts classical techniques, wherever possible, to modern American conveniences;
· it shows Americans how to buy products, from any supermarket in the United States, that reproduce the exact taste and texture of the French ingredients, for example, equivalent meat cuts, the right beans for a cassoulet, or the appropriate fish and seafood for a bouillabaisse;
· it offers suggestions for just the right accompaniment to each dish, including proper wines. Since there has never been a book as instructive and as workable as Mastering the Art of French Cooking, the techniques learned here can be applied to recipes in all other French cookbooks, making them infinitely more usable. In compiling the secrets of famous cordons bleus, the authors have produced a magnificent volume that is sure to find the place of honor in every kitchen in America. Bon appétit!
Julie & Julia is now a major motion picture (releasing in August 2009) starring Meryl Streep as Julia Child. It is partially based on Julia Child's memoir, My Life in France. Enjoy these images from the film, and click the thumbnails to see larger images.
Title: Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume ...
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Publication Date: 1983
Book Condition: Very Good
Book Description Knopf, 1983. Book Condition: Good. A+ Customer service! Satisfaction Guaranteed! Book is in Used-Good condition. Pages and cover are clean and intact. Used items may not include supplementary materials such as CDs or access codes. May show signs of minor shelf wear and contain limited notes and highlighting. Bookseller Inventory # 0394533992-2-4
Book Description Knopf. Hardcover. Book Condition: VERY GOOD. little to no wear, pages are clean. The cover and binding are crisp with next no creases. Bookseller Inventory # 2811945046
Book Description Knopf, 1983. Hardcover. Book Condition: Used: Very Good. Volume one only. Hardcover. No dust jacket. Good binding and cover. Clean, unmarked pages. Ships daily. Bookseller Inventory # 1709180037
Book Description Knopf 1983-10-12, 1983. Hardcover. Book Condition: good. 0394533992. Bookseller Inventory # 503325
Book Description Knopf, 1983. Hardcover. Book Condition: Used: Good. Bookseller Inventory # SKU8701505
Book Description PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE, 1983. Hardcover. Book Condition: Good. Dust Jacket Condition: No Dust Jacket. HARDCOVER Legendary independent bookstore online since 1994. Reliable customer service and no-hassle return policy. Book in excellent condition, but DJ is missing. Cooking and Food>Regional and Ethnic>French. Book: USED, Good. Dust Jacket: No Dust Jacket. Bookseller Inventory # 17978039453399501. Bookseller Inventory # 17978039453399501
Book Description PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE, 1983. Hardcover. Book Condition: Good. Dust Jacket Condition: No Dust Jacket. HARDCOVER Legendary independent bookstore online since 1994. Reliable customer service and no-hassle return policy. Book in excellent condition, but DJ is missing. Cooking and Food>Regional and Ethnic>French. Book: USED, Good. Dust Jacket: No Dust Jacket. Bookseller Inventory # 17978039453399502. Bookseller Inventory # 17978039453399502
Book Description Knopf, 1983. Hardcover. Book Condition: Very Good. Great condition with minimal wear, aging, or shelf wear. Bookseller Inventory # P020394533992
Book Description Knopf, 1983. Hardcover. Book Condition: Like New. Almost new condition. Bookseller Inventory # P010394533992
Book Description Knopf, 1983. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0394533992