Designed especially for students, this portable drug handbook contains information on more than 60 drug classifications and 4,000 individual generic and trade name drugs. It includes a color atlas of drug administration along with 16 detailed illustrations showing how drugs work at the cellular level. Alerts and icons highlight key information. This edition also contains NANDA nursing diagnoses, which are useful in writing care plans. A companion website includes quarterly drug updates, including FDA alerts. A companion CD-ROM features over 250 NCLEX® examination-style questions for the drugs you're likely to administer during clinicals, a calculation tutorial, a drug card creator allowing you to print your own drug information, and 30 clinical calculators.
- Organizes monographs alphabetically for quick access to essential information.
- Features a 16-page color insert showing the mechanisms or sites of action for specific drugs and drug classes.
- Includes a full-color atlas of medication administration, including a review of Universal Precautions, to clearly depict key steps in safe and effective drug administration for various routes.
- Features a drug category section with nursing diagnoses, generic drugs, and highlighted key drugs in each category.
- Highlights key drugs with a special icon to focus on important drugs within drug classifications.
- Highlights critical nursing considerations with Alert icons to identify situations that potentially could cause harm to the patient.
- Highlights common side effects and life-threatening adverse reactions for immediate recognition in emergency situations, and lists them by body system order for easy reference.
- Includes extensive interactions information for drug-to-drug, drug-to-drug category, drug-to-herb, drug-to-food, and lab test interferences.
- Features hundreds of potential interactions between drugs and herbal products.
- Highlights incompatibility information for site- and solution-specific incompatibilities.
- Provides Therapeutic Outcome in monographs to encourage critical thinking and provide a focus for the plan of care.
- Provides pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics charts where appropriate for easy access to information.
- Provides both drug-to-drug and drug-to-solution compatibility charts in the front and back of the book for easy access.
- Features "Tall Man" lettering for easily confused drug names in accordance with FDA recommendations.
- Provides a general index, and a disorders index of more than 70 disorders.
- Features a flexible, water-resistant cover for durability in the clinical setting.
- Includes appendixes on controlled substances, FDA pregnancy categories, and commonly used abbreviations for quick clinical reference.
- Features a Combination Products appendix with a listing of product names, generic ingredients, and component dosages for more than 500 combination products.
- Contains the biannual update on newly released drugs.
- Includes 23 new monographs for drugs recently approved by the FDA.
- Offers more than 2,000 new drug facts including patient/family teaching guidelines, updated drug interactions, side effects, precautions, contraindications, and IV therapy facts.
- Features on the companion website a Recent FDA Drug Approvals table with generic/trade names and uses for the most recently approved drugs.
Learn to administer drugs safely with this handy resource designed especially for students.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.