notice for identifying their logs coming down the Susquehanna River.

Du Bois & Lowe

Publication Date: 1862
Used / Broadside / Quantity Available: 0
Available From More Booksellers
View all  copies of this book

About the Book

We're sorry; this specific copy is no longer available. Here are our closest matches for notice for identifying their logs coming down the Susquehanna River. by Du Bois & Lowe.

Description:

Du Bois & Lowe issue a broadside notice for identifying their logs coming down the Susquehanna River. 17" X 14" Printed at Havre de Grace, Md, March 1st. 1862 The neat part of this broadside is the branding codes of the various lumber sellers. Although most of the lumber came from the West Branch of the Susquehanna River, John DuBois was raised in Tioga County New York and still had connections here in the Owego area. Tioga County, NY was and still is a major supplier of logs to the world. This broadside hung in the law office of former Judge George Boldman of Owego. For more information about the issues of the day - United States Supreme Court 73ÂU.S.Â548 TOME Âv. DUBOIS. In the Circuit Court for the District of Maryland; the case, as stated in the brief of counsel, and assumed by this court, being in substance thus: Dubois & Lowe brought trover against Tome, Shure & Abbott to recover damages for the conversion by them of certain saw-logs, and certain planks, which Dubois & Lowe alleged to be their property. At the trial of the cause, evidence was offered on the part of the plaintiffs, that on September 30th, 1861, several booms on the Susquehanna River were carried away by a freshet, and that a large quantity of logs for lumber were swept down the river; that telegrams were at once sent to the postmasters at Port Deposit and Havre de Grace, towns on the lower part of the river, requesting them to have the logs caught and saved for the owners, and that under such notices, the defendants caught and saved a quantity of the logs, and at once began to saw them into lumber. Evidence was also offered, that a few days after the freshet, the owners of the logs appointed a committee of three persons to go down the river, and settle with the persons who had saved any portion of the logs, and with full authority to sell the same; that on the 7th or 8th October, 1861, the committee went to the sawmill of the defendants, about seven miles from Havre de Grace, and saw some of the logs there; that the committee offered to sell to the defendants all the logs between Safe Harbor Dam and Havre de Grace, which included the logs then in the possession of defendants, but the parties could not agree at to the terms of sale; that the defendants were then engaged in sawing the logs, and had prior to that time sawed some of them, and that the committee prohibited all further sawing thereof; that they estimated the lumber which had been sawed at from 40,000 to 200,000 feet; that they made several visits to the mill of the defendants, and on their last visit, which was in December, 1861, and was for the purpose of ascertaining and measuring the whole amount, there were, in their judgment and by their measurement, 400,000 feet of sawed lumber, and 100,000 feet in logs. History of Lycoming County, Pennsylvania by John Franklin Meginness on page 1099. John DuBois was one of the pioneer lumbermen of Lycoming county, and during the early development of that great industry he laid the foundation of a large fortune. He was a native of Tioga County, New York, and in 1838 came to this county and located on Lycoming creek, between Field's Station and Bodines. He and his brother Matthias purchased large tracts of pine and hemlock timber lands in Lewis and Cascade townships, erected a mill and was engaged in the manufacture of lumber under the firm name of J. Du Bois & Brother. About 1850 they took into partnership E. S. Lowe, then a prominent merchant of Williamsport, and the firm was changed to DuBois & Lowe. In the meantime Mr. Du Bois had become interested in building a boom in the Susquehanna river at Williamsport, and when the Susquehanna Boom Company was organized, he was elected its first president . He also made large purchases of timer lands in Clearfield county. DuBois & Lowe bought several hundred acres of land on the river, including the site of DeBoistown, where they build a large saw mill with an annal capacity of 6,000,000 to 8,000,000 feet of lum. Bookseller Inventory #

Bibliographic Details

Title: notice for identifying their logs coming ...
Publication Date: 1862
Binding: Broadside
Book Condition: G/No Dustjacket

Top Search Results from the AbeBooks Marketplace

1.

Du Bois & Lowe
Used Quantity Available: 1
Seller:
Riverow Bookshop
(Owego, NY, U.S.A.)
Rating
[?]

Book Description 1862. Broadside. Book Condition: G/No Dustjacket. Du Bois & Lowe issue a broadside notice for identifying their logs coming down the Susquehanna River. 17" X 14" Printed at Havre de Grace, Md, March 1st. 1862 The neat part of this broadside is the branding codes of the various lumber sellers. Although most of the lumber came from the West Branch of the Susquehanna River, John DuBois was raised in Tioga County New York and still had connections here in the Owego area. Tioga County, NY was and still is a major supplier of logs to the world. This broadside hung in the law office of former Judge George Boldman of Owego. For more information about the issues of the day - United States Supreme Court 73ÂU.S.Â548 TOME Âv. DUBOIS. In the Circuit Court for the District of Maryland; the case, as stated in the brief of counsel, and assumed by this court, being in substance thus: Dubois & Lowe brought trover against Tome, Shure & Abbott to recover damages for the conversion by them of certain saw-logs, and certain planks, which Dubois & Lowe alleged to be their property. At the trial of the cause, evidence was offered on the part of the plaintiffs, that on September 30th, 1861, several booms on the Susquehanna River were carried away by a freshet, and that a large quantity of logs for lumber were swept down the river; that telegrams were at once sent to the postmasters at Port Deposit and Havre de Grace, towns on the lower part of the river, requesting them to have the logs caught and saved for the owners, and that under such notices, the defendants caught and saved a quantity of the logs, and at once began to saw them into lumber. Evidence was also offered, that a few days after the freshet, the owners of the logs appointed a committee of three persons to go down the river, and settle with the persons who had saved any portion of the logs, and with full authority to sell the same; that on the 7th or 8th October, 1861, the committee went to the sawmill of the defendants, about seven miles from Havre de Grace, and saw some of the logs there; that the committee offered to sell to the defendants all the logs between Safe Harbor Dam and Havre de Grace, which included the logs then in the possession of defendants, but the parties could not agree at to the terms of sale; that the defendants were then engaged in sawing the logs, and had prior to that time sawed some of them, and that the committee prohibited all further sawing thereof; that they estimated the lumber which had been sawed at from 40,000 to 200,000 feet; that they made several visits to the mill of the defendants, and on their last visit, which was in December, 1861, and was for the purpose of ascertaining and measuring the whole amount, there were, in their judgment and by their measurement, 400,000 feet of sawed lumber, and 100,000 feet in logs. History of Lycoming County, Pennsylvania by John Franklin Meginness on page 1099. John DuBois was one of the pioneer lumbermen of Lycoming county, and during the early development of that great industry he laid the foundation of a large fortune. He was a native of Tioga County, New York, and in 1838 came to this county and located on Lycoming creek, between Field's Station and Bodines. He and his brother Matthias purchased large tracts of pine and hemlock timber lands in Lewis and Cascade townships, erected a mill and was engaged in the manufacture of lumber under the firm name of J. Du Bois & Brother. About 1850 they took into partnership E. S. Lowe, then a prominent merchant of Williamsport, and the firm was changed to DuBois & Lowe. In the meantime Mr. Du Bois had become interested in building a boom in the Susquehanna river at Williamsport, and when the Susquehanna Boom Company was organized, he was elected its first president . He also made large purchases of timer lands in Clearfield county. DuBois & Lowe bought several hundred acres of land on the river, including the site of DeBoistown, where they build a large saw mill with an annal capacity of 6,000,000 to 8,000,000 feet of lum. Bookseller Inventory # BOOKS287833

More Information About This Seller | Ask Bookseller a Question

Buy Used
US$ 3,000.00
Convert Currency

Add to Basket

Shipping: US$ 4.00
Within U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds