Public Health Nursing: Population-Centered Health Care in the Community, 7e
The "gold standard" text in community health nursing is now available in an updated, 7th edition! This respected text gives you a solid foundation in community and public health nursing concepts and interventions for individuals, families, and communities. Throughout, health promotion and disease prevention concepts are integrated into the multifaceted role of population-focused, community-oriented nursing practice. You'll find timely coverage of topics such as nursing roles following terrorist attacks and during infectious disease outbreaks; parish nursing; nurse-managed centers; and important client populations such as clients with AIDS, pregnant teens, and the homeless. Student-friendly features provide an accessible and challenging learning experience, and new content throughout keeps you up to date with this fast-changing field.
- Comprehensive coverage addresses the multiple roles of public health nurses, the varied clients they care for, and the different settings where they practice.
- Full-color design, photos, and illustrations are visually appealing and useful for effective study and real-world representations.
- Varied client focus addresses nursing care for individuals, families, and communities, giving you the information you need to care for each type of client group.
- An entire unit is devoted to vulnerable populations, so you can better serve such high-risk clients as the homeless, clients with substance abuse problems, and victims of domestic violence.
- Important chapter concepts and terminology (Objectives, Key Terms, Chapter Outline, and Chapter Review) are highlighted for quick reference.
- Numerous appendixes offer additional resources and key information, such as screening and assessment tools and clinical practice guidelines.
- Discussion-generating features such as Did You Know?, What Do You Think?, The Cutting Edge, Nursing Tip, How-To..., Evidence-Based Practice, Practice Application questions and answers, and Levels of Prevention boxes.
- Separate chapters provide thorough coverage of significant community and public health initiatives: Healthy Cities program, nursing centers, and a community health promotion integrated model.
- Critical-thinking and problem-solving skills are encouraged with Practice Applications Clinical Decision-Making Activities.
- Evolve web site for students includes Community Assessment Applied (exercises focused on community assessment), case studies with questions and answers, NCLEX exam style review questions with answers and correct answer rationales, a glossary, answers to Practice Applications, WebLinks, and content updates.
- Evolve web site for instructors includes an Instructor's Manual, Test Bank, Image Collection, PowerPoint Slides, and tips on using Hale: Real World Community Health Nursing, 2nd Edition CD-ROM with this book.
- An entire chapter on the Minnesota Public Health Interventions Wheel explains the interventions in detail, providing a mechanism for applying this new and innovative model to practice.
- Community Assessment Applied, a FREE online resource that accompanies the text, offers tools and opportunities to practice community assessment.
- Chapter on surveillance describes monitoring health events through collection, analysis, and interpretation of health data, a key aspect of the protection of the public's health.
- Expanded content on forensic nursing in the chapter on violence, giving you detailed knowledge on this new and growing nursing specialty.
- Revised international health chapter focuses on worldwide health issues so you develop a global health perspective.
- Health education and group practices chapter encourages you to focus on community/population-level education and emphasizes family, group, and community education.
- Healthy People 2010 boxes contain objectives and data from the most recent version of this federal government health promotion initiative, relating them to the practice of community and public health nursing.
- Timely new information on disaster management addresses this complex issue in light of its implications for today's public health nurses.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
About the Author
Dr. Marcia Stanhope, RN, DSN, FAAN
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.