Since 1949, the Hornbook has been the definitive, handy reference guide to Virginia history and culture. Its name derives from the early practice of creating an educational tool for children by mounting printed text on a board and covering it with translucent animal horn. Historians, genealogists, librarians, students, editors, government officials, and citizens seeking to answer questions about the past regularly rely on the Hornbook's comprehensive and authoritative information. Among the book's contents are:
- A concise history of the commonwealth
- Total population figures, 1610-1990
- Lists of all the governors, lieutenant governors, and attorneys general from 1607 to the present
- Brief histories of the counties and cities presently in Virginia along with counties formerly in the commonwealth
- Concise descriptions of famous houses, places of worship, and other historical sites
- Brief histories of the colleges and universities in Virginia.
The Hornbook of Virginia History is a must on the bookshelf of everyone who reads, researches, writes, or cares about Virginia history.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Emily J. Salmon is a senior editor in the Publications Division of the Library of Virginia and the co-author of Historic Photos of Richmond. Edward D. C. Campbell, Jr., is Deputy Librarian of the Library of Virginia and the author of The Celluloid South: Hollywood and the Southern Myth.Review:
"The fourth edition of this reference ... contains much updated information, including current statistical data for Virginia's cities, counties, and population..." -- Reference and Research Book News
The new Virginia Hornbook lives up to the benchmark set for authoritative reference books..." --Richmond Times-Dispatch
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Library of Virginia. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0884901777 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW6.0586316
Book Description Library of Virginia, 1994. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110884901777