First published in 1971 and revised in 1977, Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia has sold more than 100,000 copies and become a veritable bible for the gardeners of the United States and Canada. Now the dean of American horticulture has revised this classic once again. In addition to offering the best general advice on gardening practice, this updated and expanded edition includes:
* Up-to-the-minute information on safe use of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides, along with a list of products that have been banned as unsafe since the publication of the last edition.
* New lists of quarantined plants, with the countries from which their importation is prohibited.
* Updated requirements for importing plants with minimum trouble.
* The newest and most popular varieties and hybrids now available, for hundreds of plants, along with their characteristics and requirements.
Whether you're an expert or an amateur, you'll find everything you need to know about planning, planting, and maintaining any kind of garden. Covering trees, shrubs, fruits, vegetables, herbs, flowers, and lawns, Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia features:
* 9,500 different plants listed alphabetically by scientific name, cross-referenced for common names.
* The rating of all species for hardiness, keyed to the six-color Hardiness Zone map of the United States and Canada.
* Boldface listing of scientific name, height, hardiness rating, and common name for easy reference.
* Description of the ornamental value for each plant, so you'll know what it will contribute to your garden before you plant.
* 53 lists of plants and display gardens for quick, expert help in choosing plants for specific purposes and locations.
* 59 major articles on horticultural practices, from air-layering to greenhouse management, from mulches to tree surgery.
With nearly 1,300 pages, 10,000 articles, 206 drawings, and more than 100 photographs, Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia is the most complete, authoritative one-volume gardening sourcebook on the market today.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Donald Wyman was the horticulturalist at Harvard University's Arnold Arboretum for thirty-three years and is now horticulturalist emeritus. A former president and director of the American Horticultural Society, he has received the highest horticultural awards available to an American in Great Britain and the United States, including the George Robert White Medal from the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, the Liberty Hyde Bailey gold medal from the American Horticultural Society, the Veitch Medal from the Royal Horticultural Society, and the Medal of Honor from the Garden Club of America. The author of Trees for American Gardens, Shrubs and Vines for American Gardens, The Saturday Morning Gardener, and Ground Cover Plants, Dr. Wyman lives in Weston, Massachusetts.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Scribner, 1997. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 26320703
Book Description Scribner, 1997. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service! Summary: The definitive, indispensable classic gardening reference, now revised and updated. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_0026320703
Book Description Scribner. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0026320703 This is a hardcover book with dust jacket. Bookseller Inventory # 281.RE9
Book Description Scribner. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0026320703 We guarantee all of our items - customer service and satisfaction are our top priorities. Please allow 4 - 14 business days for Standard shipping, within the US. Bookseller Inventory # TM-0026320703
Book Description Scribner, 1987. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 2 Exp Sub. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0026320703
Book Description Scribner, 1997. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0026320703
Book Description Book Condition: Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. Bookseller Inventory # 97800263207021.0
Book Description Scribner, 1997. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110026320703