The Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology is the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary of science available. Covering 124 fields of science, the Dictionary will make a handsome addition to your reference collection.
* Approximately 124,000 fully defined entries, not counting abbreviations--the largest range of vocabulary ever compiled in a science dictionary
* Compete coverage of 124 fields of science and technology, including Computer Science, biotechnology, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Molecular Biology, Ecology, Behavior, Astronomy, Geology, and more
* "Windows," boxed essays for each of the 124 fields, offering a brief definition of each area-its meaning, history, and implications-by such prestigious scientists as Michael DeBakey, Stephen Jay Gould, Linus Pauling, Roger Revelle, and Jonas Salk
* Completely up-to-date definitions in such dynamic fields as Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, and Biotechnology
* Extensive cross-references throughout to link overlapping or equivalent entries and guide readers to the preferred terms
* More medical terms overall than any other general scientific dictionary now available
* More coverage of subfields of medicine, including Oncology, Radiology, Hematology, Cardiology, and Toxicology
* Pronunciation guides for difficult or phonetically irregular terms
* Etymologies giving the origin of important scientific terms
* Definitions that are supplemented by examples of current usage
* Abbreviations and proper names defined in the body of the text, rather than in an appendix, for easier reference
* A complete appendix of frequently consulted scientific data, including standard weights and measures and the periodic table
* A Chronology of Science listing all important milestones in the history of science from 1400 to the present
* Nearly 2,000 detailed illustrations and technical photographs, including 24 pages of color plates
* Definitions reviewed for accuracy by a panel of eminent scientist
* A single-volume, 8 ½" x 11", double-column format with boldfaced entries that offer the ready easy access to definitions
* Lightweight, acid-free paper
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
One of American Libraries' 1993 Outstanding References!From the Back Cover:
Set a new standard of excellence by adding the Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology to your reference collection. The most complete, authoritative dictionary of science available.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
(No Available Copies)
If you know the book but cannot find it on AbeBooks, we can automatically search for it on your behalf as new inventory is added. If it is added to AbeBooks by one of our member booksellers, we will notify you!Create a Want