This book describes the underlying water conditions and geologies that support viable riparia, illustrates the ecological characteristics of riparia, and discusses how riparia are used by human cultures as well as how riparia can be used to sustain environmental quality. In recent years riparian management has been widely implemented as a means of improving fisheries, water quality, and habitat for endangered species. This book provides the basic knowledge necessary to implement successful, long-term management and rehabilitation programs.
* Treats riparian patterns & processes in a holistic perspective, from ecological components to societal activities
* Contains over 130 illustrations and photos that summarize this complex ecological system
* Synthesizes the information from more than 6,000 professional articles
* Sidebars provide a look into ongoing research that is at the frontiers of riparian ecology and management
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Riparia provides readers with a comprehensive treatment of riparian ecology and management that no other text has done.About the Author:
Structure and dynamics of lotic ecosystems, landscape ecology, and the role of large animals in influencing ecosystem dynamics.
- 1988-present: Professor, College of Ocean and Fishery Sciences and College of Forest Resources, University of Washington
- 1993-present: Faculty Affiliate, Division of Biological Sciences, The University of Montana
- 2001-2002: Sabbatical Fellow, National Center for Ecological Analysis and Syntheses (NCEAS), University of California, Santa Barbara and The Ecosystem Center, Woods Hole, MA
- 1988-1996: Director, Center for Streamside Studies, University of Washington
- 1995: Visiting Professor, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- 1985-1988: Director, Center for Water and the Environment, Natural Resources Research Institute, University of Minnesota; Professor, Department of Fisheries and WIldlife, and the Department of Ecology and Behavioral Biology, University of Minnesota
- 1978-1985: Director, Matamek Research Program, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- 1984, 1988: Visiting Scientist, Centre d'Ecologie, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Toulouse, France
- 1983: Visiting Professor, University of Montana
- 1977-1978: Assistant Curator, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia
- 1976-1977: Research Associate, Oregon State University
- 1974-1976: Postdoctoral Fellow, Fisheries Research Board of Canada, Pacific Biological Station
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society of Limnology and Oceanography
- Ecological Society of America
- North American Benthological Society
- Societas Internationalis Limnologie
Recent Committee & Consulting Activity (1986-1999)
- National Science Foundation: *Water and Watersheds Panel
*Long-term ecological research advisory panel
*Ecosystem research advisory panel
*Various NSF site reviews
*Coordinating committee and chair--various NSF
Domain of Research: River Ecology and riparian landscapes.
- Director of the Centre d'Ecologie des Ressources Renouvelables, CNRS Laboratory in Toulouse (1981-1995).
- Director of the team "Ecologie des écosystèmes riverains" at the Centre d'Ecologie des Systèms Aquatiques Continentaux, CNRS et Université Toulouse 3 (1995-2001).
Present National Responsibility:
- President of the "Groupement d'Intérêt Public: Ecosystèmes Forestiers - ECOFOR" (2000-
- President of several Scientific Committees at the French Ministry of the Environment.
Past International Responsibilities:
- President of the Scientific Committee of the programme MAB.UNESCO "Land-Inland Water interface: Research and Management" (1988-1996)
- President of the "Internaional Association for Landscape Ecology" (IALE) (1991-1995)
- Scientific coordinator of the programmes of the European Commission: 'European River Margins' et 'Floodplain Biodiversity and Restoration'.
Organization of the internationa symposia:
- "Quels Flueves pour demain?" Ministère de l'Environment et CNRS, Orléans, September 1991.
- "World Congress of the International Association for the Landscape Ecology (IALE)," Touslouse, July 1995.
- "Eighth International Symposium on Regulated Streams - EISORS," Toulouse, July 2000.
- University of Toulouse: Aquatic Ecology lectures at the PhD level (1990-1996).
- Univresity of Roskilde, Denmark: international seminars at the PhD level 'Landscape ecology and the dynamics of agricultural landscapes' (1997 and 2000).
- University de Sao Paulo, Brazil: Landscape Ecology lectures at the PhD level (1998).
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Academic Press, 2005. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 1. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0126633150
Book Description Academic Press, 2005. Hardback. Book Condition: NEW. 9780126633153 This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. Bookseller Inventory # HTANDREE0895277
Book Description Academic Press, 2005. Hardback. Book Condition: NEW. 9780126633153 This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. Bookseller Inventory # HTANDREE01199197
Book Description Academic Press, 2005. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0126633150
Book Description Elsevier Science Publishing Co Inc, 2005. HRD. Book Condition: New. New Book. Shipped from UK in 4 to 14 days. Established seller since 2000. Bookseller Inventory # GB-9780126633153
Book Description Academic Press, 2005. Book Condition: New. Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service! Summary: Foreword Preface 1. Introduction 2. Catchments and the Physical Template 3. Riparian Typology 4. Structural Patterns 5. Biotic Functions of Riparia 6. Biophysical Connectivity and Riparian Functions 7. Disturbance and Agents of Change 8. Management 9. Conservation 10. Restoration 11. Synthesis Bibliography Index. Bookseller Inventory # ABE_book_new_0126633150
Book Description Academic Press. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0126633150 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW6.0042010
Book Description Academic Press. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. 0126633150 New. Looks like an interesting title, learn more! We provide domestic tracking upon request. We provide personalized customer service and want you to have a great experience purchasing from us. 100% satisfaction guaranteed and thank you for your consideration. Bookseller Inventory # S-0126633150
Book Description Academic Press, 2005. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # P110126633150
Book Description Academic Press Inc, 2005. Hardcover. Book Condition: Brand New. 1st edition. 430 pages. 10.25x7.50x1.00 inches. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # zk0126633150