The study of two-dimensional analytic geometry has gone in and out of fashion several times over the past century, however this classic field of mathematics has once again become popular due to the growing power of personal computers and the availability of powerful mathematical software systems, such as Mathematica, that can provide an
interactive environment for studying the field. By combining the power of Mathematica with an analytic geometry software system called Descarta2D, the author has succeeded in meshing an ancient field of study with modern computational tools, the result being a simple, yet powerful, approach to studying analytic geometry. Students, engineers and mathematicians alike who are interested in analytic geometry can use this book and software for the study, research or just plain enjoyment of analytic geometry.
Mathematica provides an attractive environment for studying analytic geometry. Mathematica supports both numeric and symbolic computations meaning that geometry problems can be solved for special cases using numbers, as well as general cases producing formulas. Mathematica also has good facilities for producing graphical plots which are useful for visualizing the graphs of two-dimensional geometry.
* A classic study in analytic geometry, complete with in-line Mathematica dialogs illustrating every concept as it is introduced
* Excellent theoretical presentation
*Fully explained examples of all key concepts
* Interactive Mathematica notebooks for the entire book
* Provides a complete computer-based environment for study of analytic geometry
* All chapters and reference material are provided on CD-ROM in addition to being printed in the book
* Complete software system: Descarta2D
* A software system, including source code, for the underlying computer implementation, called Descarta2D is provided
* Part VII of the book is a listing of the (30) Mathematica files supporting Descarta2D; the source code is also supplied on CD-ROM
* More than 120 challenging problems in analytic geometry are posed;Complete solutions are provided both as interactive Mathematica notebooks on CD-ROM and as printed material in the book
* Mathematica and Descarta2D Hints expand the reader's knowledge and understanding of Descarta2D and Mathematica
* Sortware developed with Mathematica 3.0 and is compatible with Mathematica 4.0
* Detailed reference manual
* Complete documentation for Descarta2D
* Fully integrated into the Mathematica Help Browser
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Academic Press, 1999. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 1st. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0127282556
Book Description Academic Press, 1999. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # 0127282556
Book Description Academic Press, 1999. Paperback. Book Condition: New. New item. Bookseller Inventory # QX-005-65-2982102