This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Based on a vast database of over two hundred million words, the Oxford Pocket American Dictionary of Current English offers superb coverage of American English. Oxford's U.S. Dictionaries Program has taken a state-of-the-art approach to the design of reference works, focusing on the words users most commonly encounter, and omitting those rarely used. All Oxford American dictionaries use an easy-to-use respelling system to show how entries are pronounced. It uses simple, familiar markings to represent common American English sounds. The result is the most reliable word resource available, one that is more practical and less expensive, perfect for students or the general reader. Its features include:
· Grammar, Style, and Usage Notes that give guidance on correct English
· Hundreds of Word Histories that provide a fascinating background to our language
· 225 illustrations, commissioned by Oxford's U.S. Dictionaries Program, that add important visual information to complement the definitions
· Reference appendices with information on weights and measures, metric conversions, chemical elements, countries of the world, U.S. states and presidents, and much more
Affordable, durable, easy to read and completely up to date, this is the finest dictionary of its size available. date, this is the finest dictionary of its size available.
· 180,000 concise definitions and entries
· 3,000 biographical and geographical entries
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Frank Abate is Editor in Chief of the U.S. Dictionaries Program for Oxford University Press. He has compiled or edited more than 30 dictionaries and a wide variety of other language and general reference works.
"The layout has been improved from the 1st edition and features a clear, bright font and accessible format." --Book News
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press. PAPERBACK. Condition: New. 0195150821 . Seller Inventory # Z0195150821ZN
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 2002. Paperback. Condition: New. Later Printing. Seller Inventory # DADAX0195150821
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2002. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0195150821
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2002. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110195150821
Book Description Oxford University Press. PAPERBACK. Condition: New. 0195150821 New Condition. Seller Inventory # NEW7.0975560