This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Doing Grammar is a practical and lively guide to discovering how the English language works. Author Max Morenberg uses modern linguistic theories to build upon traditional frameworks and provide accessible explanations about the composition of sentences, illustrating them at every step with diagrams and other visual models.
In this fourth edition, Doing Grammar retains its unique voice, clarity, and organization, but also demonstrates the author's commitment to a renewed and streamlined focus on the critical skills necessary for writing effective sentences. Featuring updated examples, Morenberg once again makes a seemingly dry subject come alive.
New to this Edition
* A streamlined approach maintains the straightforward, easy-to-read narrative while also focusing on key skills
* A glossary of terms and expanded table of contents for easy reference
* A new printed Instructor's Resource Manual-free to adopters. Prepared by Charles MacQuarrie at California State University, Bakersfield, it features an Answer Key to those in-text exercises not answered at the back of the book, additional activities and test questions, teaching tips, sample syllabi, and a guide to developing syllabi
* Innovative tree diagrams explicate the process of grammatical analysis and guide students through taking apart, labeling, and understanding the various elements of sentences
* Engaging real-world examples and anecdotes illustrate the important elements of clear writing
* Extremely effective exercises provide practice in chapter concepts
* An Answer Key at the back of the book offers students answers to selected exercises
Invaluable for students in undergraduate grammar courses, this compact guide is also essential for all readers seeking to discover how the English language works.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Max Morenberg is Professor Emeritus at Miami University, where he co-directed the Ohio Writing Project. He is the co-author of The Writer's Options: Lessons in Style and Arrangement, Eight Edition (2007) and The Writing Teacher as Researcher: Essays in the Theory and Practice of Class-Based Research (1990).
"I love it and the students love it! We especially like the 50 practice sentences at the end of each chapter. A good practical approach to syntactic analysis."--Lori P. Altmann, Georgia State University
"At last, a formal grammar book useful in my advanced grammar class. It can be used as a workbook as well as a handbook--concise, clear, and coherent. I will adopt."--Harvey Solganick, Missouri Baptist College
"A unique, discovery-based approach."--Ben Rafoth, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
"An excellent book with clear, direct explanations of difficult topics. I especially like the exercises for students. I especially like the exercises for students. Glaser's discussion of 'deadwood' in student writing is one of my favorite parts of the book."--Mason Smith, Eastern Kentucky University
"This second edition makes a good book even better. It has style and substance and helps students to make sense of the structure of the language they speak and write."--John F. Savage, Boston College
"A superb textbook for helping students to understand the syntactic structure of English. It goes beyond fundamentals to reveal unsolved problems and interesting dilemmas where readers can exercise their own intuitive knowledge and critical thinking."--Ben Rafoth, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press. PAPERBACK. Condition: New. 0195387295 SOME SHELF WEAR! - Brand New! Fast Shipping! Excellent Customer Service!. Seller Inventory # Z0195387295ZN
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2009. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110195387295
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2009. Condition: New. book. Seller Inventory # M0195387295
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 2009. Paperback. Condition: New. 4. Seller Inventory # DADAX0195387295