This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Based on the best-selling two-volume World Religions: Eastern and Western Traditions, this concise, contributed second edition is a survey of faiths throughout the world. Renowned scholars trace the origins and evolution of the major traditions, explain their essential teachings, outline their practices, and examine their interactions with modern culture and society, while insightful introductory and concluding essays suggest countless avenues for further reflection and study. With extracts from each tradition's most important thinkers, both ancient and modern, along with timelines, maps, glossaries, guides to key geographic sites, annotated reading lists, vibrant color photographs, handy "Tradition at a Glance" summaries, and a brand-new chapter on new religious movements, A Concise Introduction to World Religions, Second Edition, offers a rich introduction to the subject.
ENGAGING PEDAGOGY: A wealth of learning tools throughout help students appreciate and understand world religions:
* "Focus" boxes provide insight into rituals or practices that are specific to each religion, such as going to temple in the Jain tradition, the daily routine of liturgical prayers for Sikhs, and taboo words for male and female Shinto priests in Japan.
* "Tradition at a Glance" sidebars offer an insightful overview of each tradition--covering founders, noteworthy doctrines, and distribution of adherents--facilitate comparative analysis, and serve as quick review references.
* "Major Branches of" boxes break down the internal divisions and sects within each faith.
* Chapter timelines highlight key events in each religion's history.
* Detailed maps depict locations of important reference points for each tradition.
* "Sites" boxes indicate locations of special significance to each tradition.
* "Document" boxes highlight key passages from each tradition's sacred texts.
* End-of-chapter glossaries serve as quick-reference guides that help students learn and review key terms.
Chapter overviews and notes
Classroom discussion questions
For each chapter:
50 multiple-choice questions
20 true/false questions
10 short-answer questions
5 essay questions
Answer key with page references for all questions
Fully revised and updated for the second edition
STUDENT STUDY GUIDE:
List of learning objectives
For each chapter:
20 multiple-choice questions
5 short-answer questions
10 research paper questions
5 reflection questions
List of 5-8 additional resources
Field trip guidelines
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
The late Willard G. Oxtoby, the original editor of this work, was Professor Emeritus at the University of Toronto, where he launched the graduate program in the study of religion. His books include Experiencing India and The Meaning of Other Faiths.
Alan F. Segal is Professor of Religion and Igeborg Rennert Professor of Jewish studies at Barnard College, Columbia University. He has written extensively in the fields of comparative religion, Judaism, and early Christianity. His books include Rebecca's Children, Paul the Convert, and Life after Death.
"This is a good, solid edition usable in a wide variety of classroom settings."--William Acres, Huron University College at the University of Western Ontario
"A Concise Introduction to World Religions is a clear and accessible text that will surely hold students' attention. Among the numerous introductory texts on world religions, I consider it one of the best."--Tim Labron, Concordia University College
"This is one of the most clearly written of all the world religions textbooks I have viewed. My students would appreciate the clear writing style." --Curtis D. Smith, Penn State University
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press. PAPERBACK. Condition: New. 0195437748 Brand new, softcover, text only, A Concise Introduction to World Religions, 2nd Edition, Oxtoby, Willard G.; Segal, Alan F., Oxford Univ. Press. Seller Inventory # SKU1020166
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2011. Paperback. Condition: New. Never used!. Seller Inventory # P110195437748
Book Description Oxford Univ Pr, 2011. Paperback. Condition: Brand New. 2nd edition. 630 pages. 9.75x7.75x1.00 inches. In Stock. Seller Inventory # zk0195437748
Book Description Oxford University Press. PAPERBACK. Condition: New. 0195437748 New US Edition Textbook, Ships with Emailed Tracking from USA. Seller Inventory # Z0195437748ZN
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 2011. Paperback. Condition: New. 2. Seller Inventory # DADAX0195437748