Now in a vivid full-color format, the third edition of Social Research Methods provides students with a uniquely straightforward explanation of the central approaches and techniques in social research methods. Integrating theory with practice, author Alan Bryman demonstrates the contexts in which different research methods are used and also shows how they should be implemented.
In clear, student-friendly language, Bryman covers both qualitative and quantitative research methods--and the differences between them--as well as mixed-methods research, a subject on which he is an authority. Avoiding complicated mathematical formulas, he takes a non-technical approach to the range of tools available for the analysis of quantitative data. This approach provides students with a clear guide for creating their own research projects, choosing a method of analysis, interpreting their findings, and writing up their research.
Thoroughly revised and updated in this third edition, Social Research Methods features exciting new boxed material, including helpful "Research in Focus" boxes that put real-life research in perspective; reinforcing "Key Concepts" boxes that provide definitions of new terms; handy "Tips and Skills" boxes offering practical advice; and finally, engaging "Thinking Deeper" boxes, which introduce discussion topics and debates on the complexities of social research methods. The text also includes several brand-new chapters.
Offering an insightful perspective on the nature of social research and a practical guide to doing it, Social Research Methods, Third Edition, is an ideal text for both undergraduate and graduate courses in social research methods.
New to this Edition
· New boxed material, including actual student experiences that detail the practices and problems social science students may encounter in the research process
· A brand new chapter, "The Literature Review," which introduces the main steps in beginning a research project and conducting a critical review of literature
· A revised chapter, "Planning a Research Project and Formulating Research Questions," which takes students through the research process and offers advice on how to best manage it
· Fully updated material on using the internet as a source of data and a medium for conducting research
· New screen-shots and step-by-step instructions for the latest versions of SPSS and NVivo, which help students analyze quantitative and qualitative data
A Companion Website for both students and instructors.
· For instructors, the website offers a test bank, PowerPoint slides, notes to accompany the slides, and case studies with questions.
· For students, the site provides instant feedback multiple-choice questions, web links, an online research guide, interactive Excel tutorials, an interactive project guide, and accounts of real-life student research experiences.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Alan Bryman is Professor of Organizational and Social Research at the School of Management, University of Leicester, UK.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Oxford University Press, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P110199202958
Book Description Oxford University Press. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: New. 0199202958 New Condition. Bookseller Inventory # NEW7.0046202
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 3. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0199202958
Book Description Oxford University Press, USA 2008-05-11, 2008. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 3. 0199202958. Bookseller Inventory # 613166