This book provides a foundation for the object-oriented design and implementation of modular, composable, reusable, and/or extendable network communication protocols. Programmers will then be able to implement protocols and services by composing (rather than programming) them from a set of already specified, implemented and tested elementary protocol objects according to the application needs and the network environment. The book is organised in three parts: fundamentals of networks and applications, reference framework for modular communication systems and case studies of system designs and implementations.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
This unique book presents a new approach to the design and implementation of modern network protocols and systems, using an object-oriented modeling technique. It shows how the concept of a modular and object-oriented architecture is an attractive and effective alternative to conventional methods. The book challenges the approach of designing completely new services and protocols for each new class of application requirements and network properties. Instead, it demonstrates how to successfully implement protocols and services by composing them from a set of already specified and tested elementary protocol objects, according to the application needs and the network environment.
A key part of the design process is a reference framework providing a common terminology and modeling technique, and the author introduces a modern framework deliberately using terminology familiar to well-known reference models. He draws on his extensive experience, using accessible case studies to look in detail at the development of object-oriented network protocols. He then goes on to investigate how to achieve improvements in communications performance and reduced costs in protocol implementation.
If you are a computer professional interested in understanding and developing reusable protocol software, then this book is an essential read. It will give you:
· a vital understanding of networks from a new perspective
· a clear vision of the benefits of object-oriented protocols
· a foundation for the object-oriented design and implementation of network communication protocols that you can put into practice, easing and accelerating the process
The book is divided into three parts: fundamentals of networks and applications; a reference framework for modular communication systems; and case studies of system designs and implementations.
· practical object-oriented method
· how to design and implement modular network protocols that are composable, reusable and extendable
· focus on current network technologies, including ATM
· up-to-date summary of applications and protocols, including multimedia and TCP/IP
· in-depth explanation of the fundamentals of network technologies, protocol mechanisms, protocol concepts and protocol architectures
· real-life case studies showing how modular network protocols provide improved performance. 0201177897B04062001
Stefan Boecking is currently head of the Internet research group at Siemens AG, and lectures on Multimedia Communication Systems at the Technical University of Munich.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Addison-Wesley Pub (Sd), 1999. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0201177897
Book Description Addison Wesley, 1999. Book Condition: New. This item is printed on demand for shipment within 3 working days. Bookseller Inventory # GM9780201177893