PHTLS Basic and Advanced Prehospital Trauma Life Support Revised Reprint, 5e (NAEMT PHTLS, Basic and Advanced Prehospital Trauma Support)
Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS)revised reprint, is a unique, continuing education program that directly addresses trauma issues in the prehospital environment. Following the publication cycle of ATLS (Advanced Trauma Life Support) by the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons, the PHTLS program is designed to enhance and increase knowledge and skill in delivering trauma care. This revised fifth edition of the PHTLS textbook is the required book for the PHTLS course, and is also ideal for use as the trauma component of a paramedic course or as a general reference book on trauma assessment and management. It combines both basic and advanced trauma concepts and skills in one definitive resource and now features an entirely new chapter on evidence-based guidelines for military medicine, developed by the Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care.
PLEASE NOTE: The Instructor's Manual and Slide Set are available for certified PHTLS Instructors ONLY. They are ordered through Mosby but customers must first obtain an "access code" from the National PHTLS office - (800) 94-PHTLS or (601) 924-7744. Individuals may also call the above numbers for information on HOW TO BECOME A PHTLS INSTRUCTOR.
- PHTLS Course Features: Provides CEUs for First Responders, EMTs, paramedics, nurses, & physicians; Proceeds from the course go to the NAEMT and thus are used to support the profession; It improves the quality of care (Research is available); Can be incorporated into initial training or as a stand-alone continuing education course; Promotes critical thinking as the foundation for providing quality care.
- PHTLS (Prehospital Trauma Life Support) is a continuing education program authored and administered by the PHTLS division of the National Association of EMTs (NAEMT) in conjunction with the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons.
- The PHTLS textbook is the required book for official PHTLS courses. However, it can also be used outside of the course, adopted or purchased as a stand-alone textbook or reference book.
- This one book covers both basic and advanced level training.
- More information on kinematics than any similar book on the market.
- Airway, Thoracic and Spinal Skills are presented in a heavily illustrated, step-by-step format.
- Consistent approach! Each body region chapter features info on anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, assessment and management giving the reader a systematic way of looking at trauma.
- Chapter pedagogy includes: objectives, opening case scenario and scenario conclusion at the end of chapter, summary, review questions.
- Features a separate chapter on trauma care for the Military.
NEW TO THE REVISED 5TH EDITION:
- UPDATED and EXPANDED chapter on Military Medicine to reflect the new evidence based guidelines for prehospital care in the tactical environment. This new content was developed in 2002 by the Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care, comprised of trauma specialists, operational medical officers, and combat medical personnel.
NEW TO THE 5TH EDITION:
- NEW! A Companion CD-ROM is now included with every book. Contains video clips of all different airway and spinal skills used in PHTLS. Also includes info to download onto a PDA (such as the Glasgow Coma Scale, Revised Trauma Score, Rule of 9's, Parkland Formula and Pediatric Vital Signs).
- NEW! Chapter on Injury Prevention. Provides the reader with information on preventing injuries within their community.
- NEW! Chapter on Triage, Transport and Trauma Systems. Provides the reader with a "pull it all together" concept of how to triage a trauma patient, how and when to transport a trauma patient and where to transport a trauma patient.
- NEW! Chapter on the Golden Principles of Prehospital Trauma Care. Provides the reader with guidelines to put all the information together and critically think through every trauma patient.
- NEW! Information on prolonged transportation.
- NEW! References for every chapter and suggested reading lists. Providing evidence based prehospital trauma care.
- NEW! Drug table for commonly used drugs for pharmacologically assisted intubation. Provides general guidelines of current accepted drug use for intubation.
- NEW! Spinal Immobilization algorithm. Provides general guidelines for when spinal immobilization is appropriate for a trauma patient.
- ALL NEW PHOTOS! An entirely new set of photographs for the skills portion of this text.
- NEW! Face to Face Intubation is a procedure that provides advanced providers with an alternative method of intubating a trauma patient.
- NEW SPINAL SKILLS! - 2 person technique for standing longboard application and 2-person rapid extrication.
- Revised - Head Trauma chapter. Expanded coverage of the pathophysiology of secondary brain injury. Expanded coverage of the management of traumatic brain injury. Also now includes information on management of brain injury during prolonged transportation.
- Revised: Shock chapter. Now provides information on the complications of shock, expanded coverage on the assessment and confounding factors that contribute to shock, specific guidelines for appropriate use of the Pneumatic Antishock Garment (PASG), and more.
- Expanded! The Patient Assessment and Management chapter now includes expanded information on hemorrhage control and evaluating level of consciousness at the scene, pain management and assessing of domestic abuse.
- Expanded! Chapter on trauma in the elderly. Expanded coverage on the systematic effects of aging, the common mechanisms of injury in the elderly and special considerations in the management of the elderly in an ABCDE approach.
- COMPANION CD-ROM: Includes video presentations of more than 20 skills being performed in "real-time." These skills include: Airway Maneuvers, Dual Lumen Device insertion, Endotracheal Intubation (traditional, face-to-face, nasal), Helmet Removal techniques, Rapid Extrication (2 person and +2person), Standing Longboard Application (2 person and +2 person), and more!
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
Content includes both basic and advanced training and has been updated to reflect the current ATLS guidelines
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.