The Gender Communication Connection
The Gender Communication Connection offers an interactive approach to the course, enabling students to experience firsthand how gender communication affects their lives daily. A range of compelling features promotes student interaction with the material.
- Learning Objectives open each new chapter, introducing key terms and challenging students to actively consider the issues explored in the chapter.
- Think About This Cartoon prompts students to use a selected cartoon to explain, compare, or contrast their own feelings about a key issue that will be explored in the text.
- Journal Boxes in each chapter ask students to focus on emotions, attributes, and expected/predicted outcomes as they consider their own positions on various gender issues.
- Literary Insight asks students to read and consider excerpts from plays, poems, essays, and novels that highlight gender issues. Follow-up questions encourage students to reflect and broaden their understanding.
- Culturally Speaking boxes prompt students to question their own practices and cultural assumptions, facilitating critical thinking.
- A Researcher's View exercises profile a research study abstract or research question that has been pursued, and then invites students to investigate and/or replicate the study on a personal scale.
- Gender Communication in Practice provides a forum for the authors, guest speakers, and others to present their perspectives and experiences on gender-based questions, scenarios, and controversies.
- Strong end-of-chapter pedagogy includes special sections which strengthen students' critical-thinking skills by prompting them to discuss, reflect upon, write about, or explore online a variety of gender topics and issues.
- An online chapter, "Gender and Technology," addresses the ongoing challenges and changes in the influence of technology on gender and society.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.