This specific ISBN edition is currently not available.View all copies of this ISBN edition:
Let Cay Horstmann teach you to think like a programmer!
If you really want to master Java, it's not enough to know the code. You must begin to think like a programmer, and in this newest edition of his bestselling guide, Java Concepts, programming guru Cay Horstmann shows you how.
Updated to integrate Java 6, Java Concepts, Fifth Edition introduces you to fundamental programming techniques and design skills that are crucial to learning how to program. Drawing on his many years of experience as an expert programmer and teacher, Horstmann brings out the most important elements of computing, problem solving, and program design.
Thanks to Horstmann's proven formula, you'll complete this book with a thorough grounding in programming concepts and problem-solving and get quickly up to speed writing efficient and successful programs.
Features of the new Fifth Edition:
* The 'Objects Gradual' approach leads you into object-oriented thinking step-by-step, from using classes, implementing simple methods, all the way to designing your own object-oriented programs.
* A strong emphasis on test-driven development encourages you to consider outcomes as you write programming code so you design better, more usable programs
* Unique approach goes beyond language syntax to focus on computer science concepts and problem solving, encouraging you to think as a problem solver
* New teaching and learning tools in WileyPLUS--including a unique assignment checker that enables you to test your programming problems online before you submit them for a grade
* Helpful "Testing Track" introduces techniques and tools step by step, ensuring that you master one before moving on to the next
* Graphics topics are developed gradually throughout the text, conveniently highlighted in separate color-coded sections
* Updated coverage is fully compatible with Java 5 and includes a discussion of the latest Java 6 features
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
This unique book teaches you the fundamental concepts of good computer programming while introducing you to one of the most powerful languages in use today--Java! It gives you an ideal balance between programming concepts and the details of Java. Rather than exhaustively cover the entire language, the author focuses on a subset of Java--a lean and practical core that is manageable, yet detailed enough to create powerful Java applets. And as you master the basics of Java, you'll be developing solid programming skills that will increase your effectiveness no matter which language you work with! Includes a wealth of practical advice, tips, and reference material.From the Back Cover:
With Horstmann... learning Java 2 is like money in the bank!
"COMPUTING CONCEPTS WITH JAVA 2 ESSENTIALS, 2/E is a great, pedagogically excellently thought-out text... Horstmann clearly must be a perfectionist (a man on my wavelength) because one quickly sees that this book was crafted, not just written. Furthermore, one senses the invested effort to determine how to best teach programming to new students." Laurence Vanhelsuwé, JavaWorld - February 1999.
Maybe it's the easy-to-read style... or the use of a strategic subset of the Java library...or even the early introduction of objects... Whatever the reason, professors and students find that Horstmann provides the most accessible introduction to programming using Java 2. With its focus on problem solving design of solutions, and fundamentals of programming using Java 2, they'll quickly learn how to apply these skills in developing exciting, working program, but more importantly, they will be learning the essential concepts of computing.
New Features of the Second Edition
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
(No Available Copies)
If you know the book but cannot find it on AbeBooks, we can automatically search for it on your behalf as new inventory is added. If it is added to AbeBooks by one of our member booksellers, we will notify you!Create a Want