* Provides a comprehensive, detailed description of the fundamental architectural principles and protocols used in ATM-based networks, as well as interworking with IP and Frame Relay based networks
* Begins with general coverage of ATM, but moves quickly into the most important new area of ATM--IP switching, which allows communications companies to combine IP routing with ATM switching
* Offers the reader a clear understanding of the evolutionary trends in the development of ATM
A Wiley-IEEE Press publication
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
A comprehensive guide to the architecture and components of ATM and IP Internetworking technologies
Over the past decade, ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) technology has become the most promising and capable networking technology for the support of multimedia services, including voice, data, and video signals. Sourcebook of ATM and IP Internetworking provides a comprehensive, detailed description of the fundamental architectural principles and protocols used in ATM-based networks, as well as interworking with IP- and Frame Relay-based networks.
Khalid Ahmad's peerless text includes a sophisticated treatment of the most important new area of ATM, IP switching, which allows telecommunications companies to combine IP routing with ATM switching to communicate data as quickly and cost efficiently as possible. In stressing the similarities and differences between ATM and related networking technologies, such as Frame Relay (FR), Internetworking Protocol (IP), and MultiProtocol Label Switching (MPLS), the Sourcebook provides the reader with a deep understanding of the evolutionary trends in the development of ATM. Major subject areas covered include:
* ATM traffic management, congestion control, and signaling (control) protocols
* B-ISDN- and PNNI-based addressing, routing, and signaling mechanisms
* ATM layer OAM, protection switching, and their relation to network management protocols and survivability
* ATM adaptation layer (AAL) protocols and services
* QOS-based IP mechanisms
* Future internetworking architecture trends
With its emphasis on ATM and IP architecture, protocols, and procedures, Sourcebook of ATM and IP Internetworking proves an authoritative reference for information technology engineers, network planners, and Internet service providers striving to meet real-world networking needs as well as for students pursuing the study of network technology at the upper undergraduate or graduate level.
KHALID AHMAD, PhD, is a senior research engineer in the Carrier Data Networking division of Nortel Networks, a leading global manufacturer of ATM, optical fiber, and FR network elements. Dr. Ahmad has been involved at the forefront of developments in ATM, FR, and MPLS technologies and interworking since their inception in the ITU-T, ATM Forum, and FR Forum. He earned his doctorate in solid-state physics from the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge University, U.K.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
(No Available Copies)
If you know the book but cannot find it on AbeBooks, we can automatically search for it on your behalf as new inventory is added. If it is added to AbeBooks by one of our member booksellers, we will notify you!Create a Want