Critical Thinking and Clinical Judgment: A Practical Approach, 3e
Critical Thinking & Clinical Judgement: A Practical Approach, 3rd Edition recognizes that nurses must be knowledgeable workers who are thought-oriented rather than task-oriented. This resource makes the concept of critical thinking in nursing come alive through an insightful, motivational style that inspires the reader to connect with their own innate talents to develop the skills needed to succeed in today's challenging health care setting. The book is designed to promote the development of critical thinking by providing a clinically relevant, user-friendly text to help learners master content in a meaningful way. The book makes difficult concepts easy to learn by focusing on "how to" (application) while giving supporting rationale (theory). It also stresses the importance of ethics- and standards-based professional practice in a world of increasing accountability. It also carefully integrates gerontology concepts and cultural, spiritual, and diversity aspects throughout.
- Presents a simple, motivational writing style with lots of examples, anecdotes, and real case scenarios to make content more realistic.
- Focuses on what actually happens in the clinical setting by providing numerous guidelines and practical strategies.
- Makes difficult concepts easy to learn by focusing on "how to" (application) while giving supporting rationale (theory).
- Promotes problem solving and decision making skills by highlighting critical thinking principles throughout.
- Stresses the importance of ethics- and standards-based professional practice in a world of increasing accountability.
- Integrates gerontology concepts and cultural, spiritual, and diversity aspects throughout.
- Critical Moments throughout give practical advice about ways to improve efficiency and productivity.
- Other Perspectives give advice and points of view from real world experts.
- HMO (Help Me Out), the author's cartoons, provide humor that fosters understanding of the content and promotes high standards of care.
- New title, Clinical Judgment reflects new content with more emphasis on promoting critical thinking and clinical judgment skills.
- Introduces Critical Thinking IndicatorsTM (CTIsTM) which are evidenced-based, explicit descriptions of the behaviors that demonstrate the knowledge, characteristics, and skills of critical thinking that help the nurse to decide exactly what is needed to do demonstrate critical thinking.
- Solid focus on the realities of today's health care setting, including more on:
- The role of logic, intuition, and creativity in critical thinking and clinical judgment.
- How personality, upbringing, and culture affect thinking and teamwork.
- How multidisciplinary practice, use of computers, and critical paths affect thinking.
- The call for outcome-focused, evidenced-based care.
- The importance of moving to a predictive model, using the proactive Predict, Prevent, Manage, Promote approach rather than the reactive Diagnose and Treat approach.
- How the nursing process continues to evolve to a more proactive and dynamic way of giving nursing care.
- How to use mind mapping (concept mapping) to promote critical thinking and learn more efficiently.
- More practice scenarios that allow nurses to think their way through interpersonal challenges such as communicating bad news, working in teams, managing conflict, and satisfying clients.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
About the Author
Rosalinda Alfaro-LeFevre, RN, MSN, President, Teaching Smart/Learning Easy, Stuart, FL
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.