Features of the new edition: DeVito continues to push culture to the forefront of interpersonal communication. In this edition, cultural coverage receives extra attention with the addition of a new unit, Culture and Interpersonal Communication. New Media and Technology Boxes are integrated throughout the text. These boxes highlight the impact of new technology on interpersonal communication. Research and theory is covered in greater detail. Almost every topic discussed in the text is now supported by the most up-to-date research findings. This new coverage is further strengthened by marginal questions that seek answers on a wide variety of issues, and a new research section in Unit 2. Ethics is now covered in boxes integrated throughout the text instead of in a separate unit. These boxes permit closer coordination of the topics and help to emphasize the importance of ethics to all interpersonal communication situations. Critical thinking coverage has also been expanded with the addition of marginal questions that evaluate and synthesize the text content, and numerous specific sections throughout the book. A new video specially designed to accompany the text has been prepared for this edition by students from the University of New Mexico under the leadership of Professors Jean Civikly-Powell and Tom Jewell. Written and acted by real students, the video presents eight interpersonal communication scenarios which instructors can use as short "lecture launchers" to enhance lectures and reinforce concepts from the text.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
The Interpersonal Communication Book, 11th Edition
Joseph A. DeVito, Hunter College of the City University of New York (Emeritus)
“DeVito’s books have something for everyone...”
- Judy Nelson, Itasca Community College
New To This Edition:
· “Speaking Interpersonal-E” explores the many different facets of computer-mediated communication. These brief, thought-provoking nuggets invite technology-savvy readers to stop and think about how computer-mediated communication—from handhelds to blogs—permeates their lives.
· “Understanding Interpersonal Theory and Research” boxes—including discussions of cues to lying, space violations, relationship dialectics theory, and conflict issues—highlight current interpersonal research and connect it with the students’ real world, helping them understand the practical nature of the theories they are encountering throughout the text.
· “Ask Yourself” margin notes present students with a real-world type scenarios—from romantic and workplace situations, to school and family life—that encourage them to apply the principles and skills discussed in the chapter.
· The Eleventh Edition is accompanied by a blog—updated by the author—providing a forum for instructors interested in discussing teaching interpersonal communication in general as well as with The Interpersonal Communication Book.
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Longman Pub Group, 1997. Paperback. Book Condition: New. 8th. Bookseller Inventory # DADAX0321013026
Book Description Longman Pub Group, 1997. Paperback. Book Condition: New. book. Bookseller Inventory # M0321013026