This unique and practical book provides quick and easy access to data on the physical and chemical properties of all classes of materials. The second edition has been much expanded to include whole new families of materials while many of the existing families are broadened and refined with new material and up-to-date information. Particular emphasis is placed on the properties of common industrial materials in each class. Detailed appendices provide additional information, and careful indexing and a tabular format make the data quickly accessible. This book is an essential tool for any practitioner or academic working in materials or in engineering.
"synopsis" may belong to another edition of this title.
From the reviews of the second edition:
The unique and practical Materials Handbook (second edition) provides quick and easy access to data on the physical and chemical properties of all classes of materials. The second edition has been much expanded to include whole new families of materials while many of the existing families are broadened and refined with new material and up-to-date information. Particular emphasis is placed on the properties of common industrial materials in each class. After a chapter introducing some general properties of materials, materials are classified as follows:
· ferrous metals and their alloys;
· nonferrous metals;
· semiconductors and superconductors;
· magnetic materials;
· insulators and dielectrics;
· miscellaneous electrical materials;
· ceramics, refractories and glasses;
· polymers and elastomers;
· minerals, ores and gemstones;
· rocks and meteorites;
· soils and fertilizers;
· cements, concrete, building stones and construction materials;
· timbers and woods;
· fuels, propellants and explosives;
· composite materials;
Detailed appendices provide additional information on subjects as diverse as crystallography, natural radioactivity and economic data for industrial materials. Specific further reading sections and a general bibliography round out this comprehensive guide. The index and tabular format of the book make light work of extracting what the reader needs to know from the wealth of factual information within these covers.
François Cardarelli has spent many years compiling and editing materials data. His professional expertise and experience combine to make this handbook an indispensable reference tool for scientists and engineers working in fields from mechanical, electrical, and chemical to metallurgical and nuclear engineering.
"This volume covers metals and alloys, nonferrous metals, semiconductors, ceramics, polymers, earth materials, concrete, wood, fuels, composites, gases, and liquids. ... many industrial and university libraries will find it a useful one-volume reference. Summing Up: Recommended. Upper-level undergraduates through professionals/practitioners." (A. M. Strauss, Choice, Vol. 46 (2), October, 2008)About the Author:
François Cardarelli has had wide-ranging commercial and industrial experience of materials, commodities and processes:
· at CNRS in Paris he designed and used electrochemical sensors for pollution control;
· as a research scientist at Électricité de France he helped to invent methods of preparation of industrial titanium and tantalum electrodes;
· as a registered professional consultant in Toulouse, he solved problems in electrochemical engineering, the selection of electrode materials, corrosion and high-temperature operation;
· at the Avestor Corporation, he worked as an industrial electrochemist and materials expert in charge of strategic raw materials, scientific and technical support for lithium processing and, as Battery Product Leader, in charge of lithium polymer batteries for electric vehicles, down-hole drilling anf telecommunications he defined battery requirements and specifications and invented pyrometallurgical and hydrometallurgical processing for spent lithium batteries;
· at Rio Tinto Iron and Titanium, he was principal chemist for Materials at Sorel-Tracy in Quebéc dealing with valorization processes for industrial residues and refactory benchmarking and electrowinning of metallic titanium.
· at the Material and Electrochemical Research (MER) Corp., Tucson (Arizona, USA) he was principal electrochemist working on the electrowinning of titanium metal powder from composite anodes and other materials-related projects.
· following a period as Manager of Recycling at 5NPlus Inc in Saint-Laurent Quebéc he has started his own company, Electrochem Technologies & Materials, providing professional services and promoting his own patented electrochemical technologies on a commercial basis.
Doctor Cardarelli is also the author of Encyclopaedia of Scientific Units, Weights and Measures for Springer (ISBN: 1-85233-682-X).
"About this title" may belong to another edition of this title.
Book Description Springer, 2008. Hardcover. Book Condition: New. Never used!. Bookseller Inventory # P111846286689
Book Description Springer, 2008. Hardback. Book Condition: NEW. 9781846286681 This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. Bookseller Inventory # HTANDREE0310270
Book Description Springer Verlag, 2008. Hardcover. Book Condition: Brand New. 2nd edition. 1008 pages. 9.25x6.50x2.25 inches. In Stock. Bookseller Inventory # zk1846286689